Linguaholic

Which English words do you have trouble spelling?

Guest akasha24

Occasionally always throws me a curveball, it takes me a couple tries before I finally get it right. I have always found that I can never spell buffalo without spelling it bufallo first. I know that there are definitely several other words out there that trip me up, I just can't for the life of me remember any of them.

A lot of English words are difficult to spell for non-native speakers (or even native speakers) because of the way they are pronounced. Sometimes the pronunciation simply doesn't match up with how it is spelled.

For me, the one word I have to double check myself on everytime, is definitely.  I almost always write it as "definetely" but since my tablet does a sort of predictive text  I'm able to spot the error straight away.

I also have to watch my double consonants  as in; occasion (spelt that wrong straight away..oops) and necessary. Like a lot of you, ive also had trouble with  calendar,  using an 'er' instead of 'ar'.

I think the different spellings between America and England confuse matters too, especially if you are using an online tool to help with your spelling.

Based on the past couple of days I have been always misspelling "separate" and "necessarily". With separate I would always put an E after the P instead of an A. And with necessarily I would always mix up whether it's 2 c's or 2 s's or both and so on. I'm sure there are more words that I have trouble spelling but those are the most recent ones that I can remember.

I really have a hard time spelling the words: mesmerizing, apparently, and there was another word that I'm forgetting but I will add it to the list when I remember it.  If I didn't have a spell check at my disposal then I think I would have a hard time being correct, lol.

• 1 month later...

I always take time spelling occasion (oh my god I got it on my first try). I usually spell it as occassion and ocassion, but I almost never spell it correctly that the word processor does the correcting for me.

I can never spell "rythm" as  I have just proved, it should be "rhythm" as I have just used spell check. I have no explanation why I can not spell this particular word. However not having the ability to spell, is not a major problem,as most of my writing is done on my lap top, which has the wonderful  creation spell check.

I hate the word dachshund. Love the dogs, hate the word. It is so difficult to spell. I even had to google it to type it here. And yes, my original spelling was wrong. Psh.

I have terrible spelling! Thank goodness for spell check, otherwise I would be basically unintelligible. But words that trip me up often are ones that have double letters such as "necessary" or words that have the strange "i before e rule" such as beige or feisty.

I often find myself troubled spelling these words:

accommodate - I often leave out the other m.

occasion - I often put 2 s and sometimes I put only 1 c.

citizen - I am confused if the second i is supposed to be e.

aggressive - I often spell it with a single g.

tomorrow - I sometimes put 2 m.

I am confused with a lot more words. They are the ones that I can remember for now.

I always second guess myself when it comes to spelling simple words like "receive" and "believe".  Sometimes I run into trouble when I spell English words adopted from foreign languages like "bourgeoisie". 

I have a hard time spelling, 'itinerary' without having to spell check it. I always spell it like 'itenerary' because that's how it's heard. Thank goodness for spell check nowadays, right? Haha!

• 2 weeks later...

My first thought when I look at this question is that I have some problems with the words where As and Es sound pretty much the same.

Now with the second one I bet a lot of people will laugh at me. I tend to have problems with i before e except after c or when sounded as a as in neighbor or weigh. Whenever I'm spelling a word with an ie combination, I have to think of the little poem.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I have more to add here. These are more words that I have trouble spelling:

mannequin

orchestrate

casserole

I usually spell them the way I think they are spelled then check them with spell checker. A lot of the time, my spelling's wrong.  :sad:

• 1 month later...

For me it would be word Embarrassing. Sometimes I just really forget if it's double R and single S, or single R or double S, or both doubles.

The second one would be occasion. I keep thinking it's single c and double s. Since double s seems more common, like passion, mission, and discussion.

The third one would be aggressive. I usually type it with one g.

The English word that I always have a bit of trouble spelling is the word experience. For whatever reason I always forget how to spell it. Even just now I had to use spellcheck lol. I don't use the word "experience" that much so maybe that is why I always forget how to spell it.

• 1 month later...

English is my first language. But there are a few words that drive me crazy because I always spell them wrong. Thank goodness for automatic spelling checks. They have made me lazier, but so much more efficient. :wink:

Some words are:

conscientious

therefore (i never know if it ends with the "E" or without)

rhythm

ecstasy

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, I find it difficult to remember the right spelling of the following words:

1. separable

2. shepherd

3. consciousness

But since I listed them here, I think that I will remember them better now! Haha!

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few that I'd likely misspell quite a bit if it wasn't for my computer alerting me to that act that it incorrect. Words like similar (which I always want to add an "i" to) usually get me, I'm always wanting to add an "i" because I'm sounding out the word in my head.

I used to misspell "tomorrow" and "business", but now when I want to write them, for tomorrow I think of the word "arrow" and that's how I know that there are two Rs and not two Ms. And for business I imagine a bus being eaten by the Loch Ness monster.