Linguaholic

Which English words do you have trouble spelling?

Guest akasha24

I misspell a lot of words. I usually misspell the words that I use everyday which is kind of stupid for me but it's more of a typing issue in my part. I type really fast sometimes so my spelling for words like "sometimes" would be changed to "somethimes" because I tend to mix "something" and "sometimes". Minor things like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

mainly words such as necessity, relevance, where I have to double consonants or use letters that are a or e but I pronounce them similar  :laugh:

Funnily enough, I spell the word disintegrated with and I instead of e in the middle :(

• 3 months later...

Plagiarism is the word that I have to check the spelling every time before I write it down. (I did that right now).  I usually use word to type my text. It checks for grammar and spelling mistakes. I am sure that I will make so many mistakes if I did not have the program. That reminds me that I need to upgrade to the new version.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say all those with double letters like occasion (just had to concentrate recently that this is how it's spelt), accommodation. Also, the ior, ous words like behavior, marvelous, supercilious. I guess this is because when I started working in a British owned company, I got mixed up with their spellings. For instance, they spell behavior as behaviour, marvelous as marvellous (?) Sometimes, I do not even know which is American English and which is a British word.

• 9 months later...

These words have given me a lot of headaches: enroll, fulfill, and embarrass. When I was in the second or first grade, our teachers made us practice the words believe and receive often (I think they're considered the two most confusing words for kids that time) so now I have no problem with them. If only our teachers did it for all the words in the dictionary. Haha! And @sayitwell, I don't think I'll ever learn the word Onomatopoeia - I had to copy it from your post. :)

On 07 October 2013 03:32:28, mccanono said:

Haha. Weird.

Because I always remember the "i before e except after letter c".

So the word weird wouldn't qualify as "before c" since the letter before "ie or ei" is W.

It really is weird to spell weird. Haha

I really don't know why the English language has to be so complicated. We don't even get to pronounce the words the way they are spelled. As an English learner you have to ensure that you listen a lot. Reading and doing your own interpretation can be very dangerous to learning.

• 2 weeks later...

I find spelling "receive" difficult. I end up spelling "recieve" around 80% of time time I write or type the word "receive". I think it's just me, the I get the "ei" mixed up and in the wrong order so it's "ie" (which is incorrect, as you know).

I remember writing "committee" my first time. I was shocked there were three instances of the same letter standing next to each other. One that always gets me is "disappointment", I'm really bummed I can't get that one right :D

There is no occasion when I don't have to correct occasion, no matter how often I write it down; just know used here twice, and right clicking twice to get my browser fixing the misspell.

Other words I'm conscious to misspell all the time is this, conscious, and subconscious, which are words I use continuously because many things we do or we don't are connected with our conscious/subconscious mind... and I was unable to write these words correctly in this paragraph, using again the same old trick of right clicking to get the browser fixing them :laugh:

This isn't necessarily a difficult word, but I sometimes spell acknowledgment with an e, as in acknowledgement.  I recall back in law school when acknowledgment must always be spelled without an e.  For non-lawyers, they spell the word with an e between g and m.  From acknowledgment comes the word knowledge, which doesn't come as a surprise why this former is spelled in the same way as the latter. Nowadays, acknowledgment is the preferred word.

34 minutes ago, AExAVF said:

This isn't necessarily a difficult word, but I sometimes spell acknowledgment with an e, as in acknowledgement.  I recall back in law school when acknowledgment must always be spelled without an e.  For non-lawyers, they spell the word with an e between g and m.  From acknowledgment comes the word knowledge, which doesn't come as a surprise why this former is spelled in the same way as the latter. Nowadays, acknowledgment is the preferred word.

Actually, that's not true:
LsFB2lW.png

And according to the Oxford Dictionaries, both are OK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2015, 6:59:49, Blaveloper said:

Actually, that's not true:
LsFB2lW.png

And according to the Oxford Dictionaries, both are OK.

Ah, okay then.  Thanks. 

Oh yes, back in grade five, I had difficulty spelling the word rendezvous in my spelling bee.  I spelt it as "randayvoo" or "randeyboo" because that was the first time I heard of that word.

• 4 months later...

I've always had a little trouble with Wednesday. I try to remember the spelling different ways, but my letters still find their way in the wrong spot. I'm so thankful for autocorrect.

I am almost always spelling the word "accidentally" wrong. I keep wanting to spell it like "accidently" for whatever reason. The word "giraffe" always ends up mixing me up, too. I can never remember which letter is doubled and which isn't. Back when I was younger, I had a terrible time with the "ie and ei" rule. It's because my last name has an "ei" in it, but it's pronounced just like "ie," so I was constantly making mistakes with that.

Mmm I sometimes check a thesaurus to verify if I spelled well certain words. "environment", "acquaint", "suppress", "heinous", "behaviour","gorgeous","rhythm" are some of them. Any word that sounds uncanny for my spanish native mind worths a double check with a thesaurus.

6 hours ago, SoManyLanguages said:

I am almost always spelling the word "accidentally" wrong. I keep wanting to spell it like "accidently" for whatever reason. The word "giraffe" always ends up mixing me up, too. I can never remember which letter is doubled and which isn't. Back when I was younger, I had a terrible time with the "ie and ei" rule. It's because my last name has an "ei" in it, but it's pronounced just like "ie," so I was constantly making mistakes with that.

I don't know if English has a general rule for double letters, but since we have lots of words with double letters in Dutch, our simple trick is:
If the vowel before the constant is pronounced shortly (like "ah"), it's a double constant (like "schappen", meaning "products in a shop").
If the vowel before the constant is pronounced longer (like "aa"), it's a single constant (like "schapen", meaning "sheeps").

It doesn't end with "schappen" and "schapen", we have a whole lot more of this in Dutch, which is why it's so important here to keep that in mind.

In English however I got used to it and I spell most words correctly without even thinking. :P

(Perhaps a nice tip for @Trellum?)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am like a lot of other users above and I tend to struggle with the I before E sometimes, and "convenience" is one that I seem to get wrong most of the time.  Another one is every time, and that is only because I always try to make it one word and it is two.  There are a lot of little subtle ones out there, which is I am sure what makes English a difficult language to learn, so I am told.  I guess the good news is that when I do misspell these or make these errors, they really do not matter in most cases and are a quick fix, so I am glad that I live in this day and age.

• 1 month later...

I always make mistakes with 'accommodation', 'occasion' and 'necessary'; damn you double letters :)

Speaking of spelling mistakes, do you use any online spell checkers? I think that would save me a lot of trouble when I have to write documents.

I did some research and found this tool called Respelt , has anyone tried it? Is it good?

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's those word that have double letters that come back to back like in Mississippi. It makes me mad when I'm typing something I'm confident that I know how to spell and I see that little red line under it saying I spelled it wrong. I don't see it as much these days with those types of words because I try really hard to make myself remember. 

And when it does come time for me to type then, I start thinking about those characters that I know might be wrong when I do type it so I think about it before I type it and generally I'm right these days.