Linguaholic

What should I avoid?

SayItAll

There are a lot of questions about the best ways to learn a language, but I've been wondering about the worst ways. Which techniques for learning should I avoid? I'm sure there are probably tons that would just leave me even more confused....

I've had someone tell me to leave my television on a channel that speaks the language and that I could learn that way. I believe that would just have my mind all over the place. What do you think?  :speechless:

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I don't think leaving the tv on is useful for learning from scratch, but it does help reinforce language and speaking patterns.

I personally avoid any method that puts too much emphasis on learning through books and grammar, at least at first. You need a basic understanding of the underlying structure, but for learning a living language that you want to actually use, I think a basic vocabulary, pronunciation, and rules grounding is the place to start. And audio, listening and repetition are obviously key.

I think you have had the chance to read a lot of tips about how to learn another language easier. I would like to suggest that you try not overloading yourself with the technicalities of the second language. Stressing yourself much over syntax and semantics early on could set you back. It would be best that you immerse yourself in an environment that encourages learning the language at the start of your journey but not in any way that would pressure you.

Anyone or any product that tells you that you can learn another language "in your sleep" or while you do something else should be avoided. It is not possible to listen to a tape or watch TV and not study at all and through some magic learn the language. It would be nice if it could work that way but it cannot. Learning languages takes effort and study.

In learning new language, I saw a books that seem too complicated for me. I did not continue reading it. Instead of helping me learn, I got confused. Another thing I avoid is stressing or pushing my self too much in learning. If I'm tired or if I can feel that I need to rest, I rest then just start again after resting.

I think immersion is very good and can be enjoyable, but  I would not rely solely on that to the extent that study of grammar and vocabulary suffers. 

I think it's important to learn the standard version of the language first, especially if it's a language that has a lot of dialects and/or regional differences.

I would also focus on learning the proper grammar of the language. This enables you to be able to distinguish between vernacular use -- which can sometimes be grammatically incorrect.  Because so much is involved in learning a language, it's worth the extra effort to make sure that you're learning correct usage.  That way you have a basis to gauge and understand the more vernacular and colloquial use of the language.   

I would also avoid going through strictly rules and drills of grammar and word usage and try to learn about the underlying logic of the grammar. 

There are a lot of questions about the best ways to learn a language, but I've been wondering about the worst ways. Which techniques for learning should I avoid? I'm sure there are probably tons that would just leave me even more confused....

I've had someone tell me to leave my television on a channel that speaks the language and that I could learn that way. I believe that would just have my mind all over the place. What do you think?  :speechless:

I really think the best learning method for you greatly depends on the kind of learner you are. If you are the visual,auditory, ready/write or kinesthetic type, then you will need a method whose main approach is the right one (according to the learner type you are).  There are no bad or good methods,  because there are some methods that really work for some people and do wonders, but that will not be the case for others.  That's why you must really recognize the kind of learner you are before you pick a language learning method.