Linguaholic

Favorite foreign film

Dame6089

I love watching movies. I like Korean movies, although I can just understand it because of the subtitles.I also like watching English movies. One of my favorites is The blind side of Sandra Bullock. I like the plot of the story. The story is based on the life of Michael Oher, a professional football player. His struggles in life and how he became one of the famous player with the help of a white rich woman named Leigh Anne Tuohy and her family.

I've watched films in Hindi, Japanese, French and one in Tamil; none of the mentioned languages is my mother tongue. I would have to say that my favourite movie would be Dil Tu Pagal Hai. It was my first Hindi movie and I just loved the actors and the storyline. It was a love story that made me laugh and cry; I bought it a few years ago and I still watch it to this day.  :smile:

It's not really "foreign" for me, but my favorite film that isn't American is Run Lola Run (or "Lola Rennt" in the original German). To be honest, I really cannot recall watching a movie that wasn't in either German or English... I guess my tastes in movies are pretty underdeveloped.

I have a few. First would be 'Life is Beautiful' ,an Italian-comedy drama. It's really good.

Second would be the Korean TV seri "My girl" and '200 pounds beauty' Korean drama.

Third would be the Japanese Tv seri "Majo no jouken" .a story about a teacher who fell for her high school student. This movie actually got a lot of critics but I enjoyed the overall story. and I really like the picture http://takki.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/forbiddenlove1.jpg with the chain around their legs.

Fourth would be Hindi movie "Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gam'.

Indonesian movie "Ada Apa Cinta"

Chinese movies would be too many to list but my all time favorite was all Jet lies movie basically.

I watch a lot of korean tv series since the usually are not very long. 16 series and done with it.

I don't have one favourite foreign film, I have many! I love the Korean film, My Sassy Girl's quirkiness and even though I don't think the leading man was cute, the story itself was adorable enough that I was cheering for both of them to be together!.

My favorite are Hindi films! But I also like watching Persian films and Turkish films. I have seen on  Japanese film called "Shall we dansu?" and I like Korean films too. I also like French films.

I would have to agree with Life is beautiful as it is such a compelling as well as tear jerking movie.  I walked into the middle of it and watched it despite I rarely do that.  When I watched it again, it was still so moving.  Incredible film.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two favorites as of the moment, one is a Korean film called Finding Mr. Destiny and the other is a Bollywood film called 3 Idiots. Finding Mr. Destiny is sort of like a Serendipity meets Eat Pray Love meets Before Sunrise movie where the girl falls in love with a guy during her trip to India and then she looses contact with him. Then she enlists the help of a "find your first love" company set up by this guy who just lost his job. I love movies about destiny and serendipity so that's why I really enjoyed the film.

I love 3 Idiots because it touches on the issue of doing well in school because you love to learn; excellence for the sake of excellence. The film is so inspirational and it's well shot too. One of my favorite quotes from the film is:

"pursue excellence and success will chase you pants down"

I mostly watch american or british films, which are foreign to me, but I think I'll go with "Pan's Labyrinth", or "el laberinto del fauno" in Spanish. Cruel at times, but this is war. I loved it.

Another really good but heavy drama is "Goya's Ghosts", with Javier Bardem and Natalie Portman. That film was amazing.

What is your favorite foreign film. I have seen a few in Japanese, but most of the foreign films I have seen are in Spanish.

My favorite is probbaly "El secreto de sus ojos". It is an awesome crime thriller.

I have watched several foreign films, but the one that still stands out for me is the Italian film, Life Is Beautiful. It came out in 1997 which starred Roberto Benigni who also directed it. For me, it was an inspiring movie with a bittersweet ending. I highly recommend it to everyone.

13 Assassins

Japanese auteur and controversialist Takashi Miike is best known for ultra-violent torture pictures like Audition and only slightly less violent yakuza gangster pictures. Even his most vehement detractors could never deny his keen eye for composition and detail, and these strengths are on full display in his classical (if still ultra-violent) samurai epic.

• 5 months later...

I don't have a favorite foreign movie but I like watching them. I will watch mainly Spanish since I understand most of what is being said. I don't care much for Japanese movies although I do watch them. I am however, excited about Hindi but I must confess I understand every action but nothing said.

I'm not sure about movies. I have to say that one of my favorite foreign things to watch, though, is Korean soap operas. My best friend's mom is from South Korea. She used to watch those soap operas all the time, and I found them to be so interesting.

''The Kite Runner''.  I liked that movie, it was a bit depressing, specially some bits, but I loved the morale of the story in the end. I liked it a lot, even tho it touched some taboo topics that surely made a lot people feel upset, specially all those who come from that area and come from a very religious family. 

I loved the fact it talked about friendship and loyalty, some bits of the story brought me to tears.  This movie is based on the novel with the same name, it was written by an afghan man, who is now living in the US. I liked how he played with the different human emotions... such a rich story. The movie was very good.