Linguaholic

Hindi Greetings and Goodbyes

Meera

Here are some useful Hindi greetings.nNot sure if some of the more formal ones are still used though but I hope it helps a little to anyone interested in Hindi.

नमस्ते (namaste)- Hello

नमस्कार (namaskar)- Hello

हेलो- (hello)

स्वागत/सवागत हैं- (swagat/swagat hain)- Welcome

शुभ प्रभात (shub prahbhat)- Good morning

दोपहर के बाद नमस्कार (dophar ke baad namaskar)-Good afternoon (I really think this one might be wrong?)

शुभ सन्ध्या (shub sandhya)- Good evening

शुभ रात्रि(shub raatri)- Good night

अलविदा - (alvida)- Bye

फिर मिलेंगे (phir milenge) Until we meet again/bye

आपका दिन अच्छा बीते! (aapka din accha bite!)- Have a nice day

आप कैसे हैं?-(aap kaise hain)- How are you(speaking to a man/honorfic)

आप कैसी हैं?-(aap kaisi hain?)- How are you? (speaking to a woman/honorfic)

तुम कैसे हो? (tum kaise ho)- how are you? (speaking to a male/familiar)

तुम कैसी हो?(tum kaisi ho)- How are you? (speaking to a female/familiar)

Sometimes Native speakers will swicth the word order and sometimes I have heard it said like:

कैसे हैं आप?(kaise hain aap?)

कैसे हो तुम? (kaise ho tum?) 

But I think maybe with strangers it is best to stick with SOV formation.

मैं अच्छा हूँ , शुक्रिया। और आप? (main accha hoon, shukriya. Aur aap)- I'm good thanks and you? (male speaking)

*शुक्रिया is the arabic influenced word for Thank you, the sanskrit influenced word is धन्यवाद (dhanyavad). I have heard शुक्रिया more though in genreal conversation.

मैं अच्छी हूँ, शुक्रिया, और आप? (main acchi hoon, shukriya, aur aap?)- I'm good, thanks, and you? (spoken by a female)

आपका नाम क्या है?(aapka naam kya hai?)- What is your name? (honorfic)

मेरा नाम…है (mera naam...hai)-My name is...

आप कहाँ से हैं? (aap kahaan se hain?)-Where are you from? (honorfic)

मैं… से हूँ (main...se hoon)-I'm from

आप से मिलकर ख़ुशी हुई (aap se mikar khushi hui) - Nice to meet you!

Hope you liked these phrases :P

• 1 month later...

This is my first seeing the Hindi language, which looks quite interesting. The writing is similar to Thai, which I think it is difficult to learn, right? Thank you for the info!

The Hindi script is not difficult to learn. I learned in about two weeks. Thai is based off the brahmic scripts but its quite diffirent and more complex than devnagari (the Hindi script). If you want to learn the Hindi script I can give you links for it :)

• 2 months later...

The Hindi script is not difficult to learn. I learned in about two weeks. Thai is based off the brahmic scripts but its quite diffirent and more complex than devnagari (the Hindi script). If you want to learn the Hindi script I can give you links for it :)

I love the script! It's so beautiful. I'd be more than happy to learn the scripts, could you please provide the links for it?

I love the script! It's so beautiful. I'd be more than happy to learn the scripts, could you please provide the links for it?

Sure cookiesandcream! I'm glad you have an interest in it.  :smile: It's not very hard, and it is fun to learn. If you have any questions feel free to ask me, and I'll help you the best I can.

This site is probably the best:

http://www.avashy.com/hindiscripttutor.htm

It teaches the alphabet with audio and has the stoke order.

http://learn-hindi-online.com/hindi-alphabet/

This site is good too but it just has the letter with sound.

There are some great videos on youtube for the script as well, maybe I will make  a thread for it? Also if you can afford it, I'd recommend getting this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Read-Write-Hindi-Script-Yourself/dp/0071759921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393112855&sr=8-1&keywords=Hindi+script

It's very simple and the lessons are clear. But the first site I gave is good too :) I hope this helped and you enjoy learning Hindi.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds beautiful!

It's very interesting to me how different languages have different forms of words/phrases depending on who is saying it, and who they are saying it to. When you say "honorific", does that mean you are speaking to someone out of respect/older/of higher status? I'm thinking this might be equivalent to the Spanish "usted". I like how some languages include this differentiation as part of their language structure and overall culture. It's a little sad that English is not one of those.

Sounds beautiful!

It's very interesting to me how different languages have different forms of words/phrases depending on who is saying it, and who they are saying it to. When you say "honorific", does that mean you are speaking to someone out of respect/older/of higher status? I'm thinking this might be equivalent to the Spanish "usted". I like how some languages include this differentiation as part of their language structure and overall culture. It's a little sad that English is not one of those.

Yes, the Aap forms are used when speaking to someone older, respect or of higher status. There are three of these in Hindi, Aap, Tum and Tu. Tum is used with close friends and people of equal status. Tu is used for people below you, or is very very intimate. To be on the safe side you shouldn't use tu because it can be derogatory. I would use Aap with everyone until I know it's okay to use Tum.