Linguaholic

Authors/Works you love HATING!

DiesIrae

I love novels/stories that are dark in nature, either violent or supernatural or a combination plus sexy. I used to read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series because the protagonist was so brave, gutsy and strong. I loved the unresolved sexual tension in the earlier books and then.. and then..

Anita Blake became a sl*t. :(

Okay, I know there were reasons in the story why she needed to have sex lots but omg Laurell Hamilton. Why did you have to make sex be the focus of her stories? I was so sad that I quit the series and am still watching out for the next great action heroine. I was very curious though why there was such a big change to Anita Blake but it turns out it may have been related to whatever was happening to her real life.

So, any of you guys have authors or works you really hate?

Anita Blake books for always annoying and had possibly one of the worst protagonist in history. Just my opinion though. I suppose works like Twilight don't count because I don't really care for their existence and hating them would be a waste of time.

There is one series though. I remember reading Eragon as a kid and thinking it was decent. Then I read Lord of the Rings, saw Star Wars and a bunch of other works Christopher Paolini shamelessly bastardizes and I couldn't help but hate the works. Kudos to him for writing a novel at the age of 16 but the problem is, his works read like they were written by a 16 yr old and unfortunately, not a particularly imaginative 16 yr old.

Anita Blake books for always annoying and had possibly one of the worst protagonist in history. Just my opinion though. I suppose works like Twilight don't count because I don't really care for their existence and hating them would be a waste of time.

There is one series though. I remember reading Eragon as a kid and thinking it was decent. Then I read Lord of the Rings, saw Star Wars and a bunch of other works Christopher Paolini shamelessly bastardizes and I couldn't help but hate the works. Kudos to him for writing a novel at the age of 16 but the problem is, his works read like they were written by a 16 yr old and unfortunately, not a particularly imaginative 16 yr old.

I love this quote Spiral Architect. I don't know why so many people like Twilight,but I just hate the series so much. I agree that Lord of the Rings is much better to watch than to read. I don't usually have a hard time finishing a book, but I wasn't even finished and I wanted to give the book back that my cousin lent me. He didn't even want it back.  :smile:

OMG, someone mentioned Twilight! We're doomed!

Honestly. It's sooo hard to read. I can't take it seriously myself. I have it on ebook and I can't bear trying to read another page.

On another note, Twilight is a good novel to bash. If you google it, you'd find sites that point out errors or annoying stuff about it. It's one of the books I love to hate.

Dan Brown. I had to search and report for factual errors in Angels & Demons, and it was an incredible mess and a slog to read.

Just a terrible, terrible, terrible book.

Dan Brown had the conceit to write that Da Vinci Code was a fictional story based around actual facts. I don't know what's sad, the fact that his work sells or the fact that people actually believe that they are learning actual facts about religion and history by reading his works.

Anything by James Patterson. I loved the movie, "Along Came a Spider" and then "Kiss the Girls." Operating on the assumption that the novel is always better and more nuanced than the movie, I read my first Patterson novel. It was HORRIBLE. It was rife with continuity problems, the really well developed characters were two-dimensional instead of just one dimensional. And Alex Cross, who commanded respect in the movies, was a weepy sentimentalist with all the emotional maturity of a randy 13-year-old boy in the novels. I figured it was just an off effort. I read fully 12 of his novels, one after the other, with mounting horror, unable to conceive how someone who was such a terrible writer could be so popular. I finally consoled myself that these were just comic books without pictures.

Dan Brown had the conceit to write that Da Vinci Code was a fictional story based around actual facts. I don't know what's sad, the fact that his work sells or the fact that people actually believe that they are learning actual facts about religion and history by reading his works.

Yes, I agree on all points. 

I think his books are vastly overrated.  They are detailed and rich with history and people think that along with that they are getting something substantive.  But fiction built upon an historical foundation that is faulty and does not acknowledge its faultiness is a problem.  I hate to think that people are getting their historical and theological instruction from these books, but unfortunately, I believe that is the case.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to admit it, but I actually read the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy. Yes, um, well, it WAS quite raunchy, but not any more so than a lot of other well written books. The story line reminded me of those tacky Mills and Boon books we all used to read when we were at school, the gorgeous millionaire with a balck past who steals the heart of a beautiful young woman and messes with her head until he sorts himself out and then they ride away happily into the sunset, forever after.

• 4 weeks later...

Moby....frickin....Dick.  I HATED that book when I had to read it (in college during a Masters level course....and I'm an English major, so that should tell you something).  However, after reading it (and it has been years now) I still think about it, and discover new and interesting things I hadn't thought of before.  It is such a titanic work of literature....

I have read Anita Blake series, which isn't bad considering the series is quite interesting. I don't usually have specific authors or books that I dislike because I am very picky when comes to books. I would do the research before I go ahead to read the books, which it's less likely that I will dislike the books. I believe one book I didn't quite like was the Twilight series, which I only read the first page of the first chapter before I decided to let it go.

I don't hate any author or book. I might find that the author isn't very good, or fail to see the brilliance behind a much lauded book, but hating them is a bit too far. However, I sometimes HATE the FANS of said authors and books, mostly because they can become quite obnoxious in their love of them, and because they tend to badmouth everything else, even stuff they don't know. 

I have read Anita Blake series, which isn't bad considering the series is quite interesting. I don't usually have specific authors or books that I dislike because I am very picky when comes to books. I would do the research before I go ahead to read the books, which it's less likely that I will dislike the books. I believe one book I didn't quite like was the Twilight series, which I only read the first page of the first chapter before I decided to let it go.

That is because Twilight is horribly written and should be burned.

• 2 months later...

I love reading books even cheesy ones so I was surprised to find that I do have some limits when it comes to reading. As a disclaimer, I have enjoyed Harry Potter and Hunger Games so I know that I am definitely NOT a book snob. That being said, I just couldn't stand the Twilight series and Fifty Shades of Gray. I have tried to see what the hype was about in both of those series but both were just too boring in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who reads user manuals.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never been able to get into any books by Jane Austen. I've read a few of her books for school and have watched some movies of her books, but I just don't find the stories that she writes interesting at all! Maybe it's the time period that they're set in, but I just find it all rather bland and boring.

One reason why you probably don't like Jane Austen books was because maybe you've always thought of it as homework.

You mentioned that you had to read her books at school and you were required to watch some movies. Maybe you thought it was boring because at that time you don't find anything given from the school as something fun and interesting.

That's just my guess. I may be wrong. Am I?

Rhonda Byrne's "The Secret" and its sequels. The way she interpreted the Law of Attraction was so ridiculous that I couldn't believe that people actually believe this woman and keep buying her books.  :doubtful:

Its got to be E L James. The Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy took the world by storm. I still have no idea why it is not the first book of its kind nor is it particularly raunchy and its most definitely poorly written.  Irrespective of this it has still been a huge success and is even being made into a movie with hollywo :bored:od A listers desperate to play the part of either experienced entrepreneur and heart throb Christian Grey. Or the ever innocent Anastasia.

I will admit that the although poorly written from the start the first book had me engrossed, turning pages rapidly desperate to find out what would happen next. But halfway through the book to things start to go downhill and by book three it seemed as if she could not be bothered anymore and just wanted it over with as did I.

Very disappointing. :bored: