Linguaholic

How do you feel before an exam?

Guest akasha24

How I feel before an exam depends on if I studied or not. If I study then I will be 100% confident and happy going into the test. I'll pump myself up and get really into the test; I will often find myself smiling throughout it. If I don't study, which is not often, I will be really scared and nervous and feel sick through the whole exam.

I always get extremely stressed out before exams. I'll know all the information right before the exam, but I feel like I forget everything that I learned right before I take it.

The day before an exam I tend to be very relaxed and will take time out to review all of the material that I feel will be covered on the test. I then try to get some rest that night as to rid myself of any excess anxiety. However, I find that once the exam is in front of me, I stress just a little bit. I'm not sure what it is exactly. Maybe I fear that I'm going to forget what I need to know or.. who knows really! After a couple minutes of this, I skim through the exam and change my inner dialogue to "I can do this and I know that I've properly prepared for this exam. Therefore I have nothing to worry about."

• 4 weeks later...

When I was still studying at college, I would often get stomach cramps from the stress I felt before exams. Even though I was always very well prepared and didn't have to fear much at all, something irrational would take over in my head and gut that interfered with my ability to concentrate properly, hence I would make silly mistakes during exams.

Even to this day I get nervous even just thinking of having to pass some kind of test. I literally need to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for the task.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel terribly scared. I've had a lot of exam, and each of them was entirely different. Something that was not expected and that I did not prepare myself for always came out. They really tested my skills with the language I was learning. They required that I really have embodied and mastered what I learned, that I was able to apply them.

Well, like the others, I feel really nervous during the exam itself. Before the exam, I generally take my time studying and remembering everything that needs remembering. I only get a little too nervous when I didn't get to review for important parts (and if it's Math), but aside from that, it's really the "receiving the paper" part that gets me.

Do you ever feel anxious  a few days before the exam?  I do, but that's good, because that's like a reminder to hurry up and study harder! :D  So I guess everything happens for a reason.  Sometimes we need some pressure in order to do better in many aspects of our life ;)

I am usually relaxed before language exams, especially if I came to class prepared. There's nothing better than going to battle with armed pistols rather than just shields. I don't get very nervous because usually when I do, I fail.

But this just for language and communication exams. If it's Mathematics or anything that involves a lot of numbers, oh God, I honestly start shaking before the examination papers were distributed.

I stress out a lot before an exam, but once the day of the actual exam rolls around I feel pretty calm.

I guess it's because by then, I've already done all I can to prepare: the rest is just simply a matter of applying my knowledge and answering the questions.

• 2 weeks later...

It totally depends really. I only really got worried while I was doing my Music A Level exam. As something like 60% of it was theory. In my personal opinion, the education exam board is really messed up. - As it doesn't challenge your knowledge, but it does challenge your memory. Which, in my opinion, isn't what you're in school/college for.

I no longer have exams as I am back in college doing an L3 Extended BTEC Diploma, so there is no exam at the end of it. However, my other half in in college doing his A Levels, and he worries like mad. But personally, I think he's more worried about what is family will think if he doesn't pass.

How do you feel before an exam? Are you the type who stresses a lot or are you pretty relaxed before an exam? If you are a person who stresses, are able to overcome it, if yes, how do you do that?

I have always stressed over exams. No matter what type of exam, I was never able to overcome the feeling of stress, I would get nauseous and nobody was able to get a word out and this is why I failed a lot of them  :laugh: Anyway, how do you handle situations like this?

I used to be very scared because I'd always worry I'd missed something. But then I'd be scared of answering questions wrong simply because I was scared. And the fear would feed the fear itself. It was a terrible cycle. I'm better off now because now I have a cycle/studying regime that I follow religiously before a test.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the exam. If I know I have studied all that I had to study and I am sure I can do it, I am quite confident. On the other hand, if I haven't studied at all, I am very stressed and get really annoying, as I start worrying about how I am going to get out of the situation, without failing!!! I even started crying once. :)))

This may be strange but I actually feel great before an exam. As long as I'm prepared I like going in there and showing what I know. I also find regular class lectures extremely dull so when I get to put my skills to the test and work at a more brisk pace I actually rather enjoy it.

As far as english exams goes, I'm usually pretty confident that I will get a very good score on it. I feel very confident that I'm good in english, and even though I expected not to get a very good score in English this year... According to my teacher I'm goign to get an A or a B.

So yeah, as long as it's a general english exam that I have studied for and everything, I feel very confident that I will make it. There have of course been times in the past where I haven't studied enough, and I knew that even before the exam started, but that didn't happen too often...

• 5 weeks later...

Most often, I feel tense before examinations. I am the type of person who studies a lot and yet, before taking examinations, i have that feeling that I have not studied enough and I review further giving some persons the impression that I cram. This perhaps is caused of my fear to get low scores. What I do is calm myself down by taking deep breaths (not the exaggerated noticeable ones) and pray for the Lord God's guidance.

Whether taking an examination in English or any other subject, I have to admit that I am a bit nervous.  I still think to myself that I am not prepared or that I am still halfway through my review.  I would know that I prepared well if I can answer the questions right away, and I feel that I am confident of my answers.  The data and answers flow through my brain like running water.  On the other hand, if I did not prepare well, my mind would be scrambling for answers.  If I finish the exam ahead of time, I will try to review every answer before turning in my exams. 

• 2 months later...

It usually depends on which subject I am having an exam for. Usually, when the exam is English or Science, I feel okay. I understand these subjects a lot. However, if the exam is anything that is related to math like algebra or economics, I feel agitated and nervous.

One time, before a midterm exam on algebra when I was in first year college, I almost puked because I couldn't find "x". I ended up copying from my seatmate. Thank God for nice seatmates!  :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get stressed when taking exams, but then I decided that being stressed won't change anything. I realized that, at that point where the instructor will no longer allow you to look at notes, etc, there is nothing else that you can do. So why get stressed?

Well that's funny. I don't really feel any stress when it comes to exams, maybe because I don't care much because for the subject and my grades or the exam doesn't really have a huge consequence. But if you know what you're doing and you know for a fact that you studied the things you're supposed to then there's not point stressing it out.

But I had a friend once, in English class we had this very long exam. About an hour in the exam he stood up from his chair cupping his nose and there was droplets of blood all over his answer sheet.

Right before an exam I feel absolutely amazing. I study as much as I can the previous day, sometimes even burn the midnight oil, but at the exam I am as cool as a cat. I don't know why, maybe its because I feel that there is no point worrying now. Also I feel that if I stress out, I may forget stuff, so I just stay cool and write stuff. Yep, sometimes, even when I don;t know the answer, I just write stuff, it reduces stress for the rest of the exam.

• 2 weeks later...

When I take a course, I make sure to review my work every day so that I understand it. I revise extensively for an exam and yes I also get nervous. When the exam is in front of me, I remind myself that I have done the best to prepare for it. I ask God to help me as I go through the questions. I have done very well in most of the exams I have taken over the years.

It depends on why I'm taking the exam ;)  If it's an exam I need to pass in order to be considered for a job, then I get a bit nervous, if it's an academic thing then not at all.  I really don't like the timed exams tho, they always make me feel nervous and I end up freezing for several minutes, even if the question isn't that hard.

I don't do well with exams that aren't multiple choice, not at all!  I need a reminder of what I studied ;)

I stress out a lot before an exam, but once the day of the actual exam rolls around I feel pretty calm.

I guess it's because by then, I've already done all I can to prepare: the rest is just simply a matter of applying my knowledge and answering the questions.

Do you feel stressed even a few days before it?  I do!  But I try to see it positively, because feeling that way makes me want to hurry up and review everything I have studied, just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.  There are times tho... when you have to just hope for the best (when you didn't manage to understand or learn everything you had to for the exam)and just go for it.

If it's a practical exam, I usually feel anxious and nervous.  If it's a written exam, I tend to relax a bit more.  I think the problem that I have with practical exams is that I get conscious that people are looking at me and I feel that I should finish the exam with a perfect score -- which doesn't happen.  I hope I can overcome that weakness soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be sleepless before an exam when I was much younger; I would even get a running stomach due to all the anxiety. I remember asking my late grandfather what I should do when the paper was in front of me. He told to take a deep breath and ask God to guide me as I went through the questions. I was the top girl in my district when I used his advice for the first time, you can borrow it if you want to.

• 1 month later...

I depends on what kind of exam I am having.

If I am going to have a Physics or Chemistry exam, I will be really stressful, because there is so much thing that I need to study about!!

However, If I am going to have an English exam, I won't be nervous or stressful, because there is no way to study, so I won't study... :confused: :confused: