Linguaholic

How do you feel before an exam?

Guest akasha24

Guest akasha24

How do you feel before an exam? Are you the type who stresses a lot or are you pretty relaxed before an exam? If you are a person who stresses, are able to overcome it, if yes, how do you do that?

I have always stressed over exams. No matter what type of exam, I was never able to overcome the feeling of stress, I would get nauseous and nobody was able to get a word out and this is why I failed a lot of them  :laugh: Anyway, how do you handle situations like this?

Guest isabbbela

I also get very stressed before exams. If I didn't study enough I obviously fear not knowing the answers and getting a low score. But if I studied a lot and feel like I know the subject well, I also get scared that I might confuse or mistake something and get answers wrong. I'm also very competitive, so on tests I always want to take better grades than my friends. So when I get the worse, or one of the worse grades I feel down for quite a long time.

I'm a stresser as well  :laugh:. I just get really anxious about it. Even if it's not a big test, I always get that sick feeling in my stomach that I'll mess up.  :speechless:

I usually feel pretty nervous, but as soon as the exams started I am like in trance and not nervous at all anymore. I just forget the world around me and can usually concentrate 100 percent on the exam.  :karate:

I guess it depends on what the exam is for. If it's for a class that I like and understand, then I won't feel too nervous; if it were a class that I didn't like and I was doing horribly, then I would feel extremely nervous. I have a quiz today worth 20%, I'm pretty relaxed about it right now because I studied extremely hard. Wish me luck.  :nerd:

Since it's the Study English subforum, do you mean English exams? I'm not really nervous before my English exams. I'm pretty good at English, I'd say, and I've never really had any problems with English exams :P I panic a little bit before oral exams, because I'm better at writing than at speaking, but usually I calm down the moment I enter the classroom.

With other exams it's not so easy :< Usually I have a long OH MY GOD I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I WANT TO DIE moment. Especially if it's an oral exam.

Depends on the subject and the importance of it. I have felt absolutely relaxed to dangerously nervous for different exams with everything in between. Haven't ever been nervous for an English exam though. I, for some reason, have always done well in those.  :grin:

Usually I feel pretty nervous if I haven't studied and pretty cool if I did my job. :) I was always a good student so I was usually ok.  :beaten:

It depends. I only get a bit stressed for difficult exams.

As for exams in English, it's nothing new. Our medium of instruction is more English anyway. I've had oral exams though that I got a bit nervous about, especially when we're supposed to speak in English extemporaneously. I think it's more of speaking in public though, which usually leads to running out of words to say.

I get a little worried, but nothing that's overboard. I usually always do good on tests and I rarely fail them. As long as I study even just a little bit I will do just fine. To be honest, I just pray before any test. It calms me down and allows me to fully concentrate and take the test.

I get pretty nervous before an exam, even if I study a lot I never know what would be on it and that leaves an uneasy feeling. Instead of staying quiet, I talk a lot when I'm nervous and no one can get me to stop. I get all jittery, so to say. It usually goes away during or after I take my exam because I know it's over and what's done is done.

I'm usually very relaxed before exams. I know that I did my bet to learn it all and there should be nothing to surprise me. I never slack and always properly prepare myself so there are no reasons to be nervous.

I'm always stressed about any exam because I will get nervous every time I have an upcoming exam. I don't know the reason behind it, but I still get nervous even though I'm well-prepared. I am not a big fan of multiple-choice exam, plus I always change my mind once I have selected my initial answer.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you feel before an exam? Are you the type who stresses a lot or are you pretty relaxed before an exam? If you are a person who stresses, are able to overcome it, if yes, how do you do that?

I have always stressed over exams. No matter what type of exam, I was never able to overcome the feeling of stress, I would get nauseous and nobody was able to get a word out and this is why I failed a lot of them  :laugh: Anyway, how do you handle situations like this?

Nowadays exams are just the norm. I don't get nervous or anything of the sort, even if I am ill-prepared. But my mind does take me back to high school days when I would stay up all night, swatting or revising just to ensure that I kill all anxiety and enter the exam room with superiority and confidence.  Those days are long gone now. Now, I just do what I can do with what ever information I know.No sweats.

Exams are usually determiners of what you have learnt and they also decide whether you will go to the next level or get that nice certificate, so I usually tend to be a bit scared when exams are around the corner.  But if am well prepared on a subject, then my confidence levels always go high and I don't get anxious or scared.

I remembered whenever I will be taking an exam during my schooldays if I do not study that much I always feel nervous and I worry too much to what will be the outcome after the exam. But if I think that I had studied that much and knows what will be given in the exam I am quite calm and relax because I know somehow I can answer some of them. :)

I don't study very much in advance for exams. I used to but studying for weeks just doesn't suit me. I prefer to just go over important notes a couple of days before the exam. I don't feel confident going into my exams but I'm pretty relaxed, after all it's only an exam. I go into the hall thinking that I can only do my best, that's all I can aim for. Too much stress before an exam isn't gonna get you anywhere!

I am probably the epitome of stress before an exam. My friend was standing right next to me and shouting my name but I couldn't hear him. I was so tensed that I ended up being oblivious to my surroundings. I remember that being the first exam of engineering college which was the worst one I had ever given. Ever since then I have learned to take exams a little more lightly because I have given so many now it doesn't even matter anymore. It's become like a routine.

If I've studied then I am pretty relaxed about taking an exam although a few butterflies will dance through my stomach from time to time.  If I haven't studied then I generally take the route that I'll do the best that I can and if I bomb out, oh well!  If by some miracle that I do really well despite a lack of effort in studying then Woo Hoo1

When it comes to exams, I always get nervous no matter even though I study really hard for the exams. I think that is what it makes me nervous because I always think so negative about my exam scores. I just can't get over thinking about it because my heart would be pounding while I am ready to turn in my exam papers. Oh well, I will just do my best and study harder for any exam to come.

I don't feel nervous at all, well, sometimes I feel a little bit nervous when I've studied a lot and am afraid of not getting a good grade anyway, but it's in rare cases. Usually I'm very chill about it, as long as I know what I've studied, I'll be fine. And usually I don't remember anything before the exam and when I start writing everything pops out of my head all of a sudden  :grin:

Well, getting stressful is not my style :P I don't get nervous during exams. I'm always cool, don't think much about the exam because if you think what's going to happen next then you might get freaked. My parents are always worried about me, they say "He has no effect of exams on him. What is he going to do? He didn't prepare for the exam" , and all that but I never worry ;)