Linguaholic

Anybody use Duolingo? [SPANISH, FRENCH]

jcairns82

I've been using Duolingo's website to practice my Spanish and French for the last month.  I've found it really helpful and has assisted me with progressing faster than using other methods.

Does anybody have experience using Duolingo's mobile app for android or ios?

• 1 month later...

I have downloaded Duolingo on my iOS app but have not yet had the time to get started with it. Instead, I have been using the app, Babbel. I downloaded Babbel while it was free (I think the cost is $.99), but Babbel is really good. It starts you off in a beginner course and tests you along the way. But I will be sure to try Duolingo as well.

Has it given you much success?

• 1 month later...

As a matter of fact, I use Duolingo both as an app as on their website on my pc.

Just like you, I use it to learn Spanish.

I started fairly recently and have gotten to level 6.

I like it, because the app allows you to learn wherever and whenever you want.

As I do not have a microphone on my pc, I like the app, because it enables me to practice the pronunciation.

However, with the app you do not have the opportunity to make any translations exercises.

At first I used Duolingo to practice translating to French.

That way I discovered I could learn Spanish from scratch using the same program.

It seems a bit too easy at first, but it also works proactively so building a vocabulary and learning grammar come naturally.

Yes, it's great! Way better than rosetta stone, and it's free. I've learned quite a bit from it and it keeps the practice up for me, and it gives you the confidence that comes with practice.

I use Duolingo a lot.

My only gripe with the program is when you re-do older units to strengthen your memory they insert stuff from the newer units. It's not a huge issue, or anything; it's just sometimes, I would just like to do a quick refresh-er on some of the earlier vocabulary. I know in the end, it will benefit me but, I have enough trouble with past tense verbs; I don't want to be seeing them when I'm reviewing present tense stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I think duolingo is a great tool, helps me pick up new words and concepts fast. My only gripe with it, is that it is not really suited to learning verbs and verb usage, and one can argue that verbs are the crux of any language. Sure, you may know names for a thousand different objects, occupations and other nouns, but to express yourself in a language, you really need to master verbs in that language, and that is where Duolingo falls short.

For those looking for an effective way to learn verbs, I would suggest the Michel Thomas audiobooks.

I really like Duolingo. I had a friend recommend it to me a couple of weeks ago and I've used it every day since. It hasn't really helped me pick up very many new things in the languages I'm studying (Spanish, German), but it's helped cement things and is great practice.

I agree with the above user that commented that it isn't very great with verb usage. This is another reason why I think it is good as a practice tool, if not necessarily a "first glance" sort of learning tool. But that's an important resource to have so I'm still a pretty big fan.

I use Duolingo to learn German and I think it's great! It makes it fun to learn a new language! I thought it was really easy at first but now at level 7 I think things are getting more complicated.. It's great that it's available on both you phone and computer so you can use it whenever it suits you.

I use Duolingo to learn Spanish. I think it's a great way to learn a language. I like the point system and leaderboards as well. I'm competitive by nature and this just makes me want to perform better.

Now that they've introduced more languages, I will start using it to get to know some other ones.

• 8 months later...

I totally love Duolingo, I'm actually thinking of tell my SO to use it as well, he said he'd like to learn Spanish and to be honest I really think he could learn so much using Duolingo!  Everything about that site is magnificent, I love the simple approach of the site...

I downloaded duolingo some time ago to learn Spanish and Italian. So far, I love it. It makes the learning seems so easy and it is fun too. It has a very user friendly interface that I actually enjoy. I have no negative comments regarding this app. The fact that it is free is a very big help already. I recommend this app to everyone who wants to learn other language/s. I heard they will add more languages soon too.