Linguaholic

Have you been able to get a job thanks to the fact you speak a second language?

Trellum

Just curious guys!  I'd really like to know how many of you have been able to get a job thanks to all the effort and time you have invested in learning a new language (proving you're fluent in said language or were at the moment you got that job). 

I was actually able to get my first writing job thanks to the fact I'm bilingual, if it wasn't because of that, I'd not have been able to get that job.  Sadly I couldn't continue working because my boss didn't take a no for an answer (if you know what I mean), and things started to get really ugly, to the point it was personal in the end.  I had to quit, because it was quite obvious he just wanted to make my work and life harder! 

I've found other good oportunities tho and I'm still working online... again; thanks to the fact I speak a second language.  Soon I might speak 3!

What about you?  Have you been able to get a job thanks to the fact you speak a second or maybe a third language?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Not yet! Nobody has really even addressed it yet. I have been asked how well I speak the other language, but it was never a focal point.

I hope that one day it does come in handy. I would love a job where I got to use my  other language on a daily basis.

Yes, actually! Just recently, I started looking into alternative forms of income. I came to the realization that I do have skills, such as being bilingual, a fast typer, and being pretty good at grammar. This brought me to searching for jobs like transcription and proofreading. I am now a subcontractor for a company that does German transcription, and a proofreader for another online-based company. Being bilingual is a goldmine! Especially if you enjoy working from home.

Haven't been placed as yet but from personal experience during college job placements, I've seen that unless you know English, it's very difficult getting a job. So, for us its less a case of getting job because you know it and more a case of 'not getting it' because you don't know the language.

Guest akasha24

Yes, I have been able to get a job just because I speak English. Not many people speak English well where I live and it is needed where I work because I have to talk to people on the phone. I also have to fill out forms in English and write letters, so I was lucky and I am one of those people who can say that I am able to do what I like.

Yes. Most Filipinos understand English but not so many can speak in English well enough to be understood clearly. Most might stammer and get too nervous, they aren't able to express themselves well. I've learned to speak it decently enough that I was able to work in a call center and I took calls for a year answering people's questions about DirectV xD. It was fun and although I have friends who troll the US, my job actually made me appreciate the fact that all places have their idiots and well-mannered people.

One of my last employers noted that my interest in languages is the reason for hiring me.  I'm only fluent in my native tongue (English); however, I have tried to learn the basics of a number of other languages.  It demonstrated to the employer that I am willing to learn and they appreciated this due to having a diverse customer portfolio.

No, but I did get invited for an interview. Unfortunately most jobs here that require a second language are sales based call centre jobs. If there's one thing I'm not good at, it's selling things, and if there's one thing I hate, it's telephones.

I don't really have a full time job, but in my part time job I sometimes translate stuff from Polish into English, so yeah, I guess that was one of the requirements.

And to get my intership I also had to know English... Too bad that it was an unpaid intership anyway :D

I hope to get a job related to Japanese once I graduate college.

That's nice!  That's a chance you'd not have been able to get if you had never learnt english :)  That's a huge adventage!  Plus you got your internship as well, paid or not paid; you got it thanks to the fact you speak english and that in my opinion is quite an accomplishment :) 

I actually hope to get a better job once I learn Dutch, I'll be living in the Netherlands soon (I hope) so I'll really need to learn the language.  I guess once I know it I'll have more chances to find a good job... I'd love to find a translating job... working at a hospital or something like that.  I'm quite excited :) 

Best of luck with everything!  I hope your dream comes true!

Yes, actually! Just recently, I started looking into alternative forms of income. I came to the realization that I do have skills, such as being bilingual, a fast typer, and being pretty good at grammar. This brought me to searching for jobs like transcription and proofreading. I am now a subcontractor for a company that does German transcription, and a proofreader for another online-based company. Being bilingual is a goldmine! Especially if you enjoy working from home.

It indeed is :)  I feel so glad when I read success stories just like yours, it makes me feel so inspired to improve my language levels and work harder!  Who said that learning a second or third language can't be profitable?!  I actually have had access to oportunities that my peers haven't had access to because they're not bilingual!  A lot people underestimate the value of being bilingual, but you and I know how helpful and profitable it can be to know 2 or more languages ;) 

I can't say that it's "come in handy" in that way yet but I'm still glad it's a skill that I have acquired. Med schools tend to like multilingual students, and there have been times when it's been useful in other ways aside from job searches.

• 2 months later...

I used to study in a city close to two other countries and it was of vital importance to speak English fluently if you wanted to work anywhere, because I got a lot of encounters with people from other countries. So yes, speaking English, together with a good bit of German helped me get the job that I worked at for about 6 months before I moved back.

I used to study in a city close to two other countries and it was of vital importance to speak English fluently if you wanted to work anywhere, because I got a lot of encounters with people from other countries. So yes, speaking English, together with a good bit of German helped me get the job that I worked at for about 6 months before I moved back.

I think knowing english will always give you a lot advantage almost everywhere :)  I'm glad to hear knowing this language helped you a lot.  I think there is nothing more rewarding than seeing that your effort has actually paid off!  I think the act of learning a new language is really noble, but getting a benefit from doing it is a huge plus and when it happens it can be considered a real bleeding; specially if it helps you land a good job.

Absolutely, I got current job precisely because I was fluent in a second (and third) language. I strongly believe that employers realise that one language is not enough in this increasingly globalised world.

It wasn't a job, it was a role in a theatre production.

The language I studied in high school was American Sign Language. In the fall of 2012, my university decided to put up a production of Mother Hicks--a play with a deaf main character. Originally, I was not cast; however, on the night of the first rehearsal, I got a call from the director telling me to come to rehearsal. Once I got there, she announced that I would be cast as the narrator (a role that is not in the script). Throughout the entire show, I sat on stage and translated the play in sign language. With this addition to the play, we were able to invite more of our deaf community to enjoy it.

It was one of the most rewarding experiences I ever had.

Not really, but I plan on maybe relocating to a foreign country in the medium future, preferably one where the native population speaks a language I have at least a little bit of expertise in. A foreigner who knows the language can be even more appealing than a local, and could be seriously considered for a pretty decent position . Know English and you will be fine anywhere, even work-wise, but know a couple of more languages, and a lot of doors are opened.

No. No job I've ever applied for has required it, although I'm sure some employers may have looked more favourably upon others applications if they included language skills. I've only ever included Conversational Dutch/German on my CV so I doubt that has swayed their opinion of me significantly.

Mostly, my ability to read and speak Chinese has always been an added advantage whenever I apply for a job. Of course, the prerequisite must is proficiency in English. Coupled with qood qualifications and experiences, it's not too difficult to get hired.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious guys!  I'd really like to know how many of you have been able to get a job thanks to all the effort and time you have invested in learning a new language (proving you're fluent in said language or were at the moment you got that job). 

I was actually able to get my first writing job thanks to the fact I'm bilingual, if it wasn't because of that, I'd not have been able to get that job.  Sadly I couldn't continue working because my boss didn't take a no for an answer (if you know what I mean), and things started to get really ugly, to the point it was personal in the end.  I had to quit, because it was quite obvious he just wanted to make my work and life harder! 

I've found other good oportunities tho and I'm still working online... again; thanks to the fact I speak a second language.  Soon I might speak 3!

What about you?  Have you been able to get a job thanks to the fact you speak a second or maybe a third language?

Yes! Whenever we are seeking for jobs the employer would ask if you do have a second language as it would be an asset. Especially if it a job where you have to deal with all different type of people.