Linguaholic

What do you think about multiple choice tests/exams?

linguaholic

I find multiple exams to be way easier than the normal type of exams.

While it's true that they have more tricky questions, as long as you study the material you're not going to do bad. Even if you don't know the answer you still have a 25% chance of getting it right..

• 2 months later...

Multiple choice exams can be good in that the answer is already there and if you studied well enough you can identify them right away.Ii never really liked multiple choice exams though because as much as you have studied well, most times the paper is written in such a way that you spend too much time reading the questions and still get thrown off because the answers are pretty close to each other.

I agree with you in one point that they do not justify the "test/exam" and learning, but in this new time saving world, I think they are the only option now, and to an extent the MCQs can be made harder than the full writing questions because one has to be exact with their answer when it comes to a MCQ but when you're writing a couple or more sentences then you can get away with that.

In my case. Multiple choice exams given to us are very difficult. It's because everything seems correct and is rather correct, you just have to find the best answer. This is totally awful and unfair since who gets to dictate the best answer? The professor/instructor! So anything he/she says goes and that is really an awful thing for us students who studied long and hard for examinations and we get this.

Back in the day, me and my classmates love multiple answer tests. We wished that every exam would be multiple answers. :P Generally we only have like 20 percent of such category while everything else is written and critical thinking. Multiple choice can also be challenging sometimes as it takes a good amount of understanding the artical in question to answer correctly.

I don't think multiple choice exams are real assessments of our knowledge, come on, it's all about odds and betting. I think a student needs to write to prove what he knows and not just putting a square, IMO that's the teachers being lazy.

They encourage students to be lazy because you can always guess the answers and if it's your lucky day you'll pick the correct answer even if you didn't know the answer. And since such questions tend to be drawn from certain sources [teachers are that lazy] anyone who has seen the questions before will most likely get most of the answers right.

To accurately assess a student's learning progress, a test shouldn't have any answers.

I generally think that they are a pretty poor indicator of a persons true skill/knowledge. For a start you should expect a minimum of 25% I suppose they work best with regards to wrote information, but even then the pass mark needs to be very high to get a realistic idea of weather a person is qualified or not.