Linguaholic

Children's Books in Spanish

jcairns82

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

How old is he? There is a lot of great Spanish children's literature, but obviously things that are good for very little kids might be less entertaining if he's 12 ;)

I remember loving the Gloria Fuertes poetry books when I was little, Pio Pio Lope: El Pollito Miope. Don't know if those are still available.

• 1 month later...

Check out "Es Yo Soy Hermano Mayor". This book is written in Spanish and should be an interesting read for a young boy. The main character is called Nacho. He's a little boy who is looking forward to having his little brother get bigger so he can play with him.

Don Quijote is a classic of the Spanish literature but not really what could be considered a children's reading.

Most readings for children include the Spanish versions of traditional literature such as

Alicia en el País de la Maravillas (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) o La Cenicienta (Cinderella)

However a very simple to read and yet inspirational reading for children and teens alike is "El Principito" (Le Petit Prince) by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

• 2 weeks later...

You can always visit your local library and ask your librarian for the latest children's books in Spanish that they received. Most libraries have a large Spanish section these days. Resources aren't as limited as they once were.

If you don't mind Spanish translations, your nephew could read Harry Potter in Spanish. Of course there is somewhat of a lack of Hispanic culture since the story is written by a British author about British things. But for being exposed to the language, reading Harry Potter would be fantastic. The same goes for reading a Spanish translation of any book.

I like to read Harry Potter in French. I'm familiar with the story already which helps comprehension, and it's just plain fun.  : )

• 4 weeks later...

Don Quixote I think is the first obvious classic choice to get a younger mind into Spanish. Although that's more for adolescents and teenagers, not children's literature first choice. If you could specify your nephew's age, I could give more relevant suggestions.

From what I understand, Don Quixote is often difficult for adults to understand due to its slightly antiquated words and phrases. I wouldn't suggest it for a child, personally. Maybe when the newphew gets older. :smile:

• 5 weeks later...

Even if your nephew is older, I think jumping into a Harry Potter book or Don Quixote might be a bit complex for a first-time learner. I think reading children's picture books is a great way to dive into the language in a natural and fun way, just like little kids learning their native language do. When I first started learning Spanish, I read "Make Way for Ducklings", "Are You My Mother?" and "Cat in the Hat" translated into Spanish. It was nice because the stories are short, simple, have picture clues, and in many cases included both Spanish and English on the same page so I could really see how the words and phrases translate. It's a good way to practice, learn new vocabulary and feel successful when beginning the long journey of learning a new language.  :wink:

• 3 months later...

Don Quijote is a classic of the Spanish literature but not really what could be considered a children's reading.

Most readings for children include the Spanish versions of traditional literature such as

Alicia en el País de la Maravillas (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) o La Cenicienta (Cinderella)

However a very simple to read and yet inspirational reading for children and teens alike is "El Principito" (Le Petit Prince) by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

I think you hit the nail on the head! I've been reading "El Principito" for a bit now, and it's great! I can actually understand it (unlike some other books that were recommended - La Ciudad de la bestias). Thanks a lot!

• 3 months later...

Most children's classics are translated into Spanish, and should be good for a beginner to read because the don't tend to have complex vocabulary.

El Principito is a great read for any child, and still one of my favorites.