Linguaholic

However

Hemingway

It's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with "however."  What you do need to be mindful of is when to use a comma.

Use the comma if "however" means "nevertheless" in the context.  Your sentence is a good example of that.  You said "However, I think that I can." 

If you do not use the comma it changes the meaning of "however."  It will mean "to whatever extent" or "in whatever manner."

For example:  "However you go about changing your schedule please remember to let others know."  Thus, in this context it means "In whatever manner you go about...."

Thank you for your quick and timely reply, Laura. My tutor is now telling me that what he said only applies to essays. Is he telling the truth, or is he just trying to save face at the expense of my education?

In addition to what LauraM said, you can also use a semicolon before the word however instead of a period. Let's take your post as an example. You could write: I've recently been told by my tutor that I shouldn't begin a sentence with however; however, I think that I can.

Interestingly, The Chicago Manual of Style and Garner’s Modern American Usage actually recommend using but or yet instead of however. They say that but or yet is more impactful.

In a way, your tutor is right. Many people consider using however to start a sentence to be wrong. So in any formal writing, it may be best to avoid doing this. For example, it is not recommended to start a sentence with however in a cover letter for a job application. The reader may see this as a mistake, and your application will be put to an unjust and silly end.

In addition to what LauraM said, you can also use a semicolon before the word however instead of a period. Let's take your post as an example. You could write: I've recently been told by my tutor that I shouldn't begin a sentence with however; however, I think that I can.

Interestingly, The Chicago Manual of Style and Garner’s Modern American Usage actually recommend using but or yet instead of however. They say that but or yet is more impactful.

In a way, your tutor is right. Many people consider using however to start a sentence to be wrong. So in any formal writing, it may be best to avoid doing this. For example, it is not recommended to start a sentence with however in a cover letter for a job application. The reader may see this as a mistake, and your application will be put to an unjust and silly end.

Yes, I agree.  For the written word -- in this case essays -- that's an important point.  Likewise, the  cover letter; it must be impeccable.  That's definitely not the time to try to override common perceptions.

It's true that people do see "however" as incorrect.  Language is constantly changing and it appears that more and more we are moving away from starting sentences with "however" in formal written use even though it is still grammatically correct when used in the proper context. 

Yes, your tutor is right about that. Do NOT start a sentence with However, Why, What, When, and What. I do think if you use However in the middle of a paragraph, it considers acceptable. Make sure you don't start off a sentence using However.