Linguaholic

Breaking Bad (SPOILERS)

• 4 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I thought there was really no other way the story could have went. How would we feel as viewers if Walt went to jail? What a horrible ending that would be. We all know he could not have possibly gotten away. Also, not quite an ending. There was no other way.

I think it was fitting. I wanted him to live, but knew it couldn't end that way. It was really hinted at way back when Walt and Walt Jr were watching the end of Scarface. That is the way all drug dealing movies end. You get rich and die in a blaze of glory.

I thought there was really no other way the story could have went.

I see you are a native speaker, so I feel kind of awkward correcting this here, but for others reading this, technically "could/would/should + have" constructions are supposed to take the third form. So it this case "could have gone". That said, this is a fairly common mistake mistake, enough so that in certain contexts I am tempted to say it isn't a mistake at all but an idiosyncrasy of some groups of speakers. That said... in written English and especially if you are learning, I'd avoid it...

------------------------------

As far as the breaking bad ending is concerned. I knew Walt had to die. It was the only way it could have ended. I thought his "redemption" was kind of rushed. I think they needed one or two more episodes so that we could see Walt realizing how badly he had mangled things, because that bit felt a little rushed in the interest of not wanting to slow down the story. I was certain for quite some time though that Jesse would have to be the one to kill Walt, but I liked the way they handled that at the end.

Being a huge Breaking Bad fan and a lover of Bryan Cranston's acting, I feel that the ending was apt. There was no other way it could have ended, Walter White had to die. It would have been morally wrong if he hadn't but then again watching a show like Breaking Bad and then commenting about morals is blasphemy. He met his end in the very place which kick started his meth empire.

It would have been better if they had thrown in an epilogue, like 10 years in the future to show how Flynn and his mother were doing. Hugely disappointed that Bryan didn't win the Emmy for the Best Actor.

@ Abundzu:

Hmm, I have no idea why it would be awkward. Everybody can makes a mistakes <--- :tongue:

Thanks for the reminder.

It's not usual for me to correct grammar mistakes on forums because it feels to me kind of like being a grammar nazi. That said, I had to reread that sentence like 3 times, because it felt a little off, but I wasn't sure. Then I saw you're a native speaker, so put it out of my mind. Then I ended up googling, and yeah. lol.

I am very happy with the way they ended this amazing show. I think everyone got what they deserved: Hank is finally going to have a normal funeral, Skyler and Walter Jr. are going to get the money that Walt had earned during his career and Jessie killed Todd. I don't think there could've been a better ending.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the ending was quite predictable - not only did the screenwriters write themselves into a corner, but the general narrative of the series followed the monomyth structure pretty closely, so obviously it had to end in apotheosis.

Personally I enjoyed Hanks demise much more. One of the best written death scenes ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally believe that the ending was perfect.  One had to believe that he would be either arrested or killed, but the way he died made it so that he was finally unable to find his way out of a business mistake.  Furthermore, the way that Walt was able to think everything out the way that he did is an adequate testament to his wisdom which he displays throughout the show.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally believe that the ending was perfect.  One had to believe that he would be either arrested or killed, but the way he died made it so that he was finally unable to find his way out of a business mistake.  Furthermore, the way that Walt was able to think everything out the way that he did is an adequate testament to his wisdom which he displays throughout the show.

This is exactly how I feel. He planned everything so carefully. The scene where he delivers the money to the Schwartz'es was amazing. He even stepped away from all the violence he caused by using laser pointers (he could have easily had an entire squad of hitmen in there).

Breaking Bad was by far the best series I watched in 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

Walt had to die! It's quite simple, the story required an ending that showed us the repercussions of dealing drugs. Otherwise, my high school chemistry teacher would have tried to make the blue stuff as well. But if you ask me, the real moral of the story is, quit while you're ahead.

• 1 month later...

I think Walter did the right thing. If he didn't do it, someone else would have. But he has also made almost pure amphetamine, so the users wouldn't die so fast. He actually did a better thing than staying alive for 1 year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's definitely one of the best series on TV! And honestly I have no clue on what could be the season ender. They have a way on putting a real good twist!

• 2 years later...

I kind of enjoyed it but it wasn't really shocking or touching. We didn't get to find out what happened to his wife and children. Were we just supposed to assume they're okay now, after everything they went through? What happened to Marie? Is she still stealing after Hank's death? We'll never know... But I liked the ending they gave to Jesse, he's the only one who actually deserved a happy ending. I loved his final scene, so beautiful and it was a relief to me to know he made it out of that terrible world.

• 1 year later...