Linguaholic

How many languages do you plan on learning?

calebmelvern

I speak fluent Filipino and English. Right now, I'm studying Japanese. I studied Spanish back in college, but I didn't pursue it. I still plan to learn Spanish in the future though.

I really want to be fluent in these four languages. I'm not sure if I'd want to learn any more. How about you? How many languages do you want to learn?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Guest isabbbela

I speak 3 and a half right nor (the half is French!). I don't see myself speaking fluently more than one or 2 more languages, but I would still like to have Italian, German and Mandarin classes. If I never become fluent on those, I would still like to have the basics!

I only speak two languages fluently: English and Spanish.  I'd be happy if I could learn Dutch soon, I might be moving to the Netherlands next year, so this decision isn't based on a personal choice (learning Dutch).  This language is really hard to learn! If I move there and I learn the language... I'll be happy with that!  I'll just work on improving my hebrew more and more and maybe one day be fluent in colloquial hebrew (I can read religious text very easily, but that's it).  So, I guess the short answer would be: Dutch & Hebrew :P

I want to see where I end up when I "grow up" (meaning travel or retire to) so I may add a language or two at that point.  I enjoy the learning process as well as the utility of knowing another language, but unless I keep using them I don't think I could retain much more than 4 or so as Trellum suggests.

I know English and Chinese and I'm currently studying Japanese. I also really want to learn Dutch and Indonesian, but I don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity to do so.

I don't want to set a number on how many languages I plan to learn. I feel like I'll learn what I need to/have an interest in. If I set a number, then I'll feel like I accomplished my goal and I'll lose my drive to learn more.

Judging by my self discipline I would be foolish to attempt more than 2 extra languages. Knowing Spanish is one goal that I've set for myself, and if I ever feel comfortable enough, I might give Russian or Cantonese a try. I don't see myself taking the time to learn more than 3 languages.

I don't really plan on reaching a certain number, rather I would just prefer to learn all that I set out to learn. If I had to pick, however, I'd say about 5 languages would be sufficient for me. I already know 3 pretty well, so I'm hoping to achieve the remaining in my lifetime.

I want to learn as many as possible, though I don't necessarily have it down to an exact science enough to have a number. I have to admit though, knowing 6+ fluently would be pretty incredible...and a great challenge, as well. :)

When I first moved to Europe 3 years ago, I was completely inspired to learn ALL languages. Then I had one of those wonderfully interesting conversations with an older woman at an airport who told me something I will never forget. She broke it down for me like this: between English, Spanish, and French, you can find someone in every corner of the world who can speak at least some of one of those languages. Why? Because Britain, Spain, and France were the conquerors, and colonized most of the entire world. Of course, there are respective merits of learning any country's language, but for covering the most ground, these three languages do indeed make the world a much smaller place. I'm still trying to pick up some general levels of the languages of the places I like to visit (Italy, Portugal, Germany, Holland, etc.), but Spanish and French are the only languages I will ever really work to be fluent in for the rest of my life.

At the moment I know 2 languages fluently and the other one is still in the process. Maybe adding one or two will be just fine. There are languages that I find really interesting and I want to learn that. I guess The maximum I will try to learn is 4-5 languages.

• 4 months later...

I'm aiming to learn 4 languages in my lifetime. I'm bilingual in English and Mandarin. At the moment, I'm learning Spanish. Once I mastered that language I'll move on to Japanese. 4 is just right for now, since I would probably not be handle any more. 

I can currently only speak English fluently and I am learning french. I would be happy if I could just speak fluently in those two languages but I think learning languages is a good skill to have so maybe in the future I will want to learn another language. For now I think I need to master the french language which is the only language I am currently planning on learning. If it goes well I am sure I will try another language in the future.

I am currently fluent in German, French, English and Chinese. I would like to learn Spanish and Japanese in the future. If I can get to the point where I am speaking those 6 languages fluently, I will probably be more than satisfied... :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I can speak fluently three languages, I am also capable of speaking French (not fluently though, but I am getting there) and I am currently learning Italian. I am interested in learning as many languages as possible. I believe that foreign languages can offer us a mental stimulation. They can open our horizons, they can help us learn a huge part of an entirely different culture. It's fascinating.

Also, knowing as many languages as possible, has the potential to open career doors.

I don't plan anything much in life. Languages come along with the people I love and the countries I visit. I want to learn new things wherever I go, and language skills sure helps a lot with that.

Who knows where my destiny will take me next. I hope into the far south of Spain. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to learn as many as I can but not all at once. I would like to learn one at a time. I would like to learn as many as I can because I believe it can be very helpful and looks good on your resume.

As many as I can. I am really excited about learning a new language. Knowing one more language means accessibility of information which was not possible previously. It is also very helpful in communication when you are in a foreign country. People will be more willing to help you if you speak or try to speak their language. It is a human tendency.

Ah well, it's not really about the number for me... more of what interests me. I currently speak English and Filipino and a bit of French and Visayan. I still plan on learning Japanese and sign language. So that makes a total of 6 but I probably would like to add to that list eventually so I don't know how many I actually want to learn.  :smile: