Linguaholic

Twilight Saga VS 50 Shades of Grey: Which was written better?

DiesIrae

I think most people who are exposed to English literature has heard both works. Honestly, I'm more concerned on which one was written worse but I would like to keep an open mind about the two. Which one do you think was written better?

As for me, I haven't finished both yet not because I'm busy, but more because I have an aversion towards fanfiction-y type of work. Whichever wins here, I'll try to read about more, for the sake of learning!

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I wouldn't recommend either series.  I have not read through these books but out of curiosity I have read some excerpts and I was not impressed with the quality of the writing or character development of either series. 

They are not well-crafted novels.  Both are overly reliant on sensationalism  and shock value -- especially "Fifty Shades of Grey," obviously -- and superficial romanticism.  I think they are not so much works of fiction as they are springboards for readers' fantasies. 

Guest isabbbela

Harry Potter! LOL

I know that wasn't the answer.... but honestly neither of those are good quality stories. Not even mentioning that both have weak, insecure and submissive female characters, they are not written well. There are many gaps in the stories. To be honest both just seem to amateur to me.

If you're a serious literature buff, then neither books are for you. I have read an excerpt of the Twilight Saga, and I have to say that it is poorly written. I have also read the first of the Fifty Shades of Grey series, and I have to admit, it is poorly written. The characterization and plot development both need a lot of work. I also found some grammatical and typographical errors there as well.

• 4 months later...

Neither is really the only correct answer here. I'm not a literary snob and I've tried reading both but I just couldn't bear to finish either series. I couldn't even finish one book of either series! Twilight was way too cheesy for me and Fifty Shades was just boring.  :bored:

I wonder what's there to like in 50 Shades of Grey. I tried reading the first book and couldn't even go beyond the second chapter. While I must admit the twilight saga isn't the best trilogy I've read, it's not so bad . . . for teenagers [whom it's written for].

I wonder what's there to like in 50 Shades of Grey. I tried reading the first book and couldn't even go beyond the second chapter. While I must admit the twilight saga isn't the best trilogy I've read, it's not so bad . . . for teenagers [whom it's written for].

Oh you make a good point. My first reply was that both are really bad but if you think about it the Twilight series wasn't really meant for adults. I could see myself as a teenager and liking that cheesiness. On the other hand, Harry Potter was meant for Kids and Hunger Games was also meant for teenagers and both those books were fine! So while it doesn't really follow that children's/young adult's books are automatically bad, I can still understand how a teenager could like something as boring and tedious to read as Twilight. As for Fifty Shades, I still don't get the hype.