Linguaholic

What English words sounds the funniest for you?

Fabrice

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm pretty fond of "kerfuffle", which is an uproar. It's just fun to say.

And "lickety-split" is just ridiculous. It means right now, as fast as possible. But honestly, where on earth did that come from?

I never liked the word "gunk". It sounds just as disgusting as what it is supposed to mean and to represent. The sound symbolism in this word is really effective to represent something wet, sticky and disgusting.

I moved to Wisconsin from California in third grade and was so confused when I heard people talking about the "bubbler." It took me a while to figure out that they meant the drinking fountain! When I called it a drinking fountain, everyone looked at me funny, the same way I looked at them when they called it a bubbler. I'm guessing that is a regional difference just like some people call fizzy soft drinks "soda" and some call it "pop." There are also grocery stores in Wisconsin called "Piggly Wiggly." As we were driving here from California, my family saw one of their semi-trucks on the freeway and wondered what the heck a Piggly Wiggly was. It turns out there was one not too far from our home and my mom sometimes went shopping there!

The first time I heard the word 'SMORGASBORD' being used on television, I laughed pretty hard. To me it is funny because it is a Swedish word (smörgåsbord), and the English pronounciation sounds funny to me.

I remembered hearing an English friend use the word "gobsmacked" once. It sounded really weird, like a name for a character from a Harry Potter novel!. Sir Gregory Gobsmacked at your service!

For me, it's "duper". I just can't take this word seriously, it just sounds so silly to me. Mostly because I'm very immature and it reminds me of the Polish words "dupa" (which means "ass") and "dupek" (which means "asshole")  :tongue:

I don't think it's a word that native English speakers are particularly fond of, anyway.

hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

In case you guys are wondering what this is, it's a name of a phobia - the fear of long words. How the hell one who is suffering from this phobia is going to tell the counselor what that he is suffering from hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia?

Wanna know something?

Try writing any word and read it repeatedly. It will start sounding funny after a while. I don't know why, but it always happens! It's so strange.

Anyways, if you're not interested in that and want a word to sound funny the first time you read it, it's gotta be "cockpit"!

'fuddy-duddy'- real hyphenated word for a person who is outdated or socially awkward. But English has lots of weird instances in which slang words have been inducted into the Oxford and Webster canons. 'Bootylicious' became a codified word according these dictionaries a few years back.

Yes, there are lots of good ones here that made me laugh out loud.  It's a fun topic!

Here are a few of my favorites.  There is "supercilious" which sounds to me very silly although it refers to someone who behaves disdainfully towards  others because he or she feels superior to them. 

Also "perfunctory" because it makes me of funk music but it actually means doing things hastily and superficially.

"Rigmarole" also makes me laugh.  It refers to something that is overly long, rambling, even incoherent. 

I really can't stand the way that the word "brackish" sounds. The -a in the words sounds pretty harsh when it's spoken with any accent.

Oh god I have to agree on that one. It just sounds horrible and all slimy, it's hard to describe but it's just a very descriptive word.

Nice thread idea.  I think the word "sessions" sounds funny.  It makes me think of devious activities but also piques my interest.  I also like the word "amicable".  That one sounds so curious to me that it makes me smile and giggle.  "Ostentatious" also sounds hilarious when said out loud.