Linguaholic

What English words sounds the funniest for you?

Fabrice

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Oh man, those Nyu Zillunduhs! :laugh:

I have a tradie (tradesman) mate who was telling me about how he was going to help fix his boss's deck. He had no idea why I was crying with laughter.

The funniest English word that comes to mind is "defenestrate" meaning "to throw out of a window".

As a german, german words that got 'imported' into the english language sound really funny to me.

Heisenberg pointed out the most funny words for me already. I never knew about the word to abseil before, this is for sure the most funny word I can think of at the moment. Especially if you consider that the German word can also be used to describe doing one's business.

Anencephalous which means absence of a brain sounds a bit weird and funny for me. I say this because before I could know how to pronounce it well it took me like four days where the teacher could enter the class and the first thing would be to ask him to pronounce it. Though it seemed a challenged I ended up familiarizing with it but since then I always see it as a funny word.

I've always liked "halibut". I can't say it more than two or three times without laughing.

Totally agree on "indubitably" as well: it makes me think of someone on television who always pronounced it in a funny way, though I can't remember who it was.

"Anemometer" ranks high on my list as well. I can't help but pronounce it like I'm talking nonsense to a baby!

Preposterous! It sounds very funny to me and I love using it. Ever since I've heard Orson using it in Desperate Housewives I fell in love with that word :)) Sometimes I turn the discussion just to be able to use it :))

I find the word "humongous" very amusing. It is like Human plus 'Goes'.

I think of it as "a Human goes", Hmm. Do you wonder who invented each word and how did it make sense to them that it was a good word.

Now, if that is not easy. Who came up with its definition?

:speechless:

The English word that sounds the funniest to me seems like a slang but is not :wacky:. The word is nincompoop which means fool or simpleton :grin:.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the word that sounds very funny is "banana", which I always have a time trying to pronounce it right. I often pronounce it "ban-na-na", which I can't imagine I can be able to say it the right way. It also sounds funny and strange.

Discombobulate would have to take the cake, for me. Perhaps it's because of all of the hard consonants, or maybe the very word itself has some sort of inherent silliness to it, but I can never hear someone say that word without wanting to crack up. Similarly, I could never imagine someone using that word in serious speech.

I have many words in mind that could stir up a giggle in me.

Words like buffoon, infidel (when said in an exaggeratedly comical tone), doofus as well as other informal or vulgar words. I find vulgar (or even swear) words to be hilarious sometimes. Obviously not always but when combined with comedy or entertainment then do such words can provide laughs.

However, to me it matters more on who's speaking the words. For instance if an uninteresting university professor says the word boring then it will not spark any emotion in me. But if Homer Simpson or King Harkinian of the infamous Youtube Poop Series say the exact same word with their unique and comical mannerisms, then it will make me laugh tenfold.

Funny words + funny people = Gold comedy.

In addition, Slang Words = Comedy treasures that could make one laugh with golden showers.

Cheers,

The Antiquarian.

• 4 weeks later...

I quite like the word cantankerous which probably comes from contentious and rancorous. That is beside the point. I think we can magnify the fun, in a manner of speaking, if we combine it with other words. Let me use a word you have just used here, encounter. Then we can speak of a cantankerous encounter.

• 2 weeks later...

I always snicker a bit when I hear someone use "bamboozle" which means to trick or "hoodwink".  The latter definition is another word that just sounds like it comes from another day and age.

The first time I heard "twerk" regarding the Miley Cyrus performance, I thought it was quite odd sounding.  It was here on linguaholic I learned it is actually a word with much more history than the recent music awards.