Linguaholic

What English words sounds the funniest for you?

Fabrice

On top of my list is "mojo". When I started blooging, all the time I was reading posts about people who "lost their sticthing mojo" . I was all  :confused:. Mojo? Mojo Jojo? Did anyone have a little monkey the called this? Is it necessary to have one to stitch? Should I acquire myself a monkey or a goldfish will do?

Anyway, I cleared it out and now use it often. Other word I find amusing for some reason is "nifty". Not sure why.  :grin:

I had to cheat and looked up some lists to refresh my memory, but five of my favorite words are: bamboozled, catawampus, shenanigans, pantaloons, and rapscallion. There are not really many occasions to say all those words, so I think their rarity in being used makes them amusing to me.

"Catawampus" is new to me so I looked it up; imaginary, fierce animal.  I agree; it's an amusing word!

It made me think of two other words that start with that same syllabic sound that I always thought were funny sounding:  "catamaran" (a type of sailing vessel) and "catatonic" (a state of immobility). 

They both sound so nonsensical to me, although they are serious words. 

I had to cheat and looked up some lists to refresh my memory, but five of my favorite words are: bamboozled, catawampus, shenanigans, pantaloons, and rapscallion. There are not really many occasions to say all those words, so I think their rarity in being used makes them amusing to me.

What do these words mean? Sorry, but I am not a native English speaker. So, I don't know about a lot of English words yet.

Is Couscous really an English Word?

Well, I suppose it isn't really, it's one of those words that English has adopted unchanged from other languages, like "mosquito" or "schnitzel". Which are also pretty funny words themselves.

Douche bag! It means "someone who has surpassed the levels of jerk and as****, however not yet reached ****er or mother****er" according to urbandictionary.com. It cracks me everytime I hear it in movies.

Fandabydosy sounds funny to me. It isn't a proper word but most people use it. I just think it is the fandaby part that makes me smile. Also cockpit is funny. Why would you name the front part of a plane that? It just seems ridiculous.

More funny words!

Amalgam

Ecumenical

Oligarchy

Aorta

Smegma (I would advise against looking up the meaning of this one  :sick:)

This post reminded of the Father Ted episode in which 'ecumenical' is part of an ongoing punchline. Must re-watch that soon!

Is Couscous really an English Word?

You totally picked the word that I hate uttering, lol. Whichever language 'couscous' was taken from, it was a very bad idea. It sounds ridiculous!

I also feel funny saying hippopotamus, baboon, banana, cha cha, pajamas, boogie... :/

I also feel funny saying hippopotamus, baboon, banana, cha cha, pajamas, boogie... :/

This a truly a case of the sum being greater than the parts; that whole string of words is extremely amusing. :)

I also find some one-syllable words that can be pretty funny.

There is "spats" for instance, which are footwear accessories.  I always thought that one sounded very silly. 

"Quiz" is a fun one even though taking a quiz might not be so much fun!

"Squash" -- a type of vegetable but also a verb meaning to crush or to squeeze -- is another one that seems very goofy to me. 

Comeuppance has always sounded really odd to me.

One that doesn't so much sound funny to the ear but still is an oddball is Allegator.  Its a legal term meaning in someone who alleges something.  Not to be confused with an Alligator, which is large, toothy reptile.  :laugh:

hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

In case you guys are wondering what this is, it's a name of a phobia - the fear of long words. How the hell one who is suffering from this phobia is going to tell the counselor what that he is suffering from hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia?

Haha, I am still learning to pronounce that lol. Okay now gimme the meaning of "Hoosegow", I bet you will laugh your ass of googling the meaning as its horrible man.

hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

In case you guys are wondering what this is, it's a name of a phobia - the fear of long words. How the hell one who is suffering from this phobia is going to tell the counselor what that he is suffering from hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia?

LOL! It's insane that a word is that long. :grin: I don't know how to pronounce it. A very strange English word is Gobbledygook, which means nonsense. Another word which I also found weird is filibuster, which means to refuse to give up the floor in a debate to prevent a vote. The word doesn't sound like what it should mean. When I first heard it when I was younger, I thought it had something to do with blisters.  :grin: