Linguaholic

What English words sounds the funniest for you?

Fabrice

My personal favorite is Snollygoster  :tongue:

It stands for a person that can not be trusted.

I have never heard of this before! Wow, I want to start using this one just for the comedic value!

One of my all time favourites is 'poppycock' which means 'nonsense' - "What a load of poppycock" He said. It is not the sound of that word that makes me laugh as such, it is just the ridiculousness of it.

I think that these types of words tend the be the least used or the more old fashioned, which is a shame as I wouldn't mind a bit of a chuckle every now and then.  :laugh:

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

One of my all time favourites is 'poppycock' which means 'nonsense' - "What a load of poppycock" He said. It is not the sound of that word that makes me laugh as such, it is just the ridiculousness of it.

LOL!  Another one in that vein is "flapdoodle."  It means "nonsense" and always makes me chuckle.  :wacky:

I like the work "klutz" which is a clumsy person.

I think the sounds just fits the meaning very well, if someone doesn't know the word but hears "You are such a klutz!" they know exactly what is meant :)

I like the work "klutz" which is a clumsy person.

I think the sounds just fits the meaning very well, if someone doesn't know the word but hears "You are such a klutz!" they know exactly what is meant :)

All the Yiddish loan words are pretty excellent; kvetch, chutzpah, nosh, schmuck :D

Nice thread.

Well, I came across this word the other day. I find it funny and bizarre as well.  Hold your breath, the word is  :

MOLLYCODDLE

And strangely enough, it means  "to treat someone very leniently". 

What a word and what a meaning......guess, can't get any funnier than this, does it ?

True, and the curious thing of this word is that it is funny in several languages where the world pennies does not refer to cash money but what you are mean by this, LOL  :laugh:

I know you guys would love the word. Clever eh? XD

Nice thread.

Well, I came across this word the other day. I find it funny and bizarre as well.  Hold your breath, the word is  :

MOLLYCODDLE

And strangely enough, it means  "to treat someone very leniently". 

What a word and what a meaning......guess, can't get any funnier than this, does it ?

I agree.  This has been an enjoyable thread.  I'm glad there is still interest in it. :)

"Mollycoddle" a great addition to our collection! :)  The word sounds familiar.  I think I have seen and/or heard it at some point.

I think the word "coddle" is funny sounding in and of itself and then adding "molly" makes it even funnier. 

There are a couple of words not yet mentioned here that I have always found funny sounding.  There is "befuddle" which means to make confused or perplexed. 

And there is "bamboozle" which means to fool or to cheat someone.  A funny word, although not a nice thing to do! 

Guest isabbbela

I have always laughed at "Flabbergasted" (which means astounded). I think it's such a funny word! Dumbfounded means pretty much the same, and it's a funny word as well.

I also think some words are funny depending on the accent and pronunciation cause some people will pronounce words funny.

For whatever reason, I've always liked the sound of the word "parallelogram" when said out loud. It's the only thing that made Geometry slightly tolerable to me.

OOPS. Oh, gargantuan. I don't know, but it sounds like the word's going to change into godzilla or something (gorgonzollaa, okay I made it up, still sounds like a monster's name). Which is apt since gargantuan means humongous. 

Try writing any word and read it repeatedly. It will start sounding funny after a while. I don't know why, but it always happens! It's so strange.

My pick was "waffle" and your trick made it even funnier. Honestly, it's not just the word, I like waffles as a food too. You should hear kids try to pronounce it, cuteness overload  :grin:

As in the topic. My personal no.1 is "manhole" :)

I am English and my wife is Spanish. I am always saying words that are normal to me but then I see a puzzled look on her face.

The worst words are the slang words that can't be found in a dictionary.. This week it was Spondoolicks ... which is a slang word for money :-)

Add to this the word 'Flim' which is the slang word for a five pound note.

Wanna know something?

Try writing any word and read it repeatedly. It will start sounding funny after a while. I don't know why, but it always happens! It's so strange.

Anyways, if you're not interested in that and want a word to sound funny the first time you read it, it's gotta be "cockpit"!

Very valid! Or it just won't look/sound right at all. Hah.

I don't like snog. Or preposterous.

I think flower and flour. I think it's crazy that they are pronounced exactly the same but have such different spellings. One of the interesting things about the English language is the large number of combinations that are like that.

As a german, german words that got 'imported' into the english language sound really funny to me.

Words like 'kindergarten', 'doppelgänger' or 'to abseil' just sound weird for a native speaker :)

I would have to say the word "brouhaha" - meaning to cause an uproar. The first time I heard the word I thought it was made up so I actually went on Google to look it up. It turns out that it was an actual word! Still to this day when I hear someone say it, I start to giggle. It's pretty funny with the "haha" ending.  :laugh: