Linguaholic

What English words sounds the funniest for you?

Fabrice

As a german, german words that got 'imported' into the english language sound really funny to me.

Words like 'kindergarten', 'doppelgänger' or 'to abseil' just sound weird for a native speaker :)

I somehow know how that feels like. In my case, loaned English words are the ones that I find funny when they are being used in other languages. For instance, in Japanese, there are a lot of loaned English words and I find their way of pronouncing those words funny. :)

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Guest akasha24

There are definitely some really weird English words out there. Obviously, I will not be able to list all that sound funny to me but I will try and say at least 6 words that sound awkward and make me laugh. Here are some that have always sounded strange to me  :laugh: :

Mushy

Canoodle

Goggles

Gargoyle

Gibberish

Doodle

Here's a nomination for 'persnickety,' someone who is very particular and demanding. I do, like an earlier poster, though, have a great fondness for 'kerfuffle' - perhaps because I have a penchant for getting into them from time to time.

I've honestly never thought of the word "manhole" as funny until OP pointed it out, and now I totally find it funny. Another one I think has a funny ring to it is the word "moist". I remember a show utilizing this specific word, claiming that the character hated it for some reason, so ever since then, I've always found it funny or at the very least, interesting.

The word "rural" kills me. Every time I hear it, it sounds like a word taken from caveman dictionary.

It just sounds funny, like a communicative growl.

Haha, usually words which convey some kind of sexual innuendo will sound funny  :tongue:

Hmm... the funniest word for me would be 'cunnilingus' which is also a synonym for oral sex.

I think the word "shuttlecock" sounds hilarious. It's another word for the birdie, which is the projectile used in the game of badminton. I don't know how shuttle and cock got put together as a name for the little equipment.

For me, it is indubitable!

When I say it in front of anybody, that person is meant to give me a smile for the word! :) Funny word! :D

I love "indubitable". It conjures up an image of a butler at a Sussex manor. Very much a Remains of the Day-type of word.

Another one of my favourites is "skullduggery". Love to use it more, but it's just not a word you can casually drop into a sentence.