Linguaholic

What is the hardest part of learning English?

Guest akasha24

As a native speaker, I still notice that even adults either had deficient early education or truly do not care about grammar and spelling.  Even punctuation is often improper and I notice it much more with the internet and mass and almost immediate communications.

I think those who are learning English, probably will pay more attention to these areas as they are choosing to learn a second language.  Goes to show that some native speakers take for granted speaking and writing properly, and those learning are so much more motivated and precise.

I grew up reading a lot of children's stories so somehow I got the English grammar into my system without being too conscious about it. But of course, since English is part of our curriculum in elementary and high school, I had to study the rules in grammar and all those technical stuff. That was the hardest part for me. Studying the tenses was troublesome for me but thank God I'm all over it and I understand it a lot better now  :laugh:

The slang. One day a friend of mine said 'Be right back I need to drop my kid in the pool'. I was like 'wait what!?!' . I told my husband and he was laughing and said 'he went to do number two'. Again, confused,he then said 'he went to shit ,hun'. OH OKAY.

I think the hardest part of learning English is to enunciate the words like most American people do. I have a little accent when I speak English because English is not my native language. I try to speak as close as American people, and I have learned to say each word slowly so people can understand me better.

I think the hardest part of learning English is to enunciate the words like most American people do. I have a little accent when I speak English because English is not my native language. I try to speak as close as American people, and I have learned to say each word slowly so people can understand me better.

It's not that difficult once you know where to look for the correct pronunciation. There's something called phonetic symbols. Altogether there are 44 of them. Just get hold of any good dictionary and you will find the phonetic symbols written after the word. The key to the phonetic symbols can be found in the contents page.

btw why do you want to use the American pronunciation? Myself, I prefer the British pronunciation. I mean I make an effort to speak Queen's English.

• 4 years later...