Linguaholic

Are you a slow/ fast reader?

Guest akasha24

Being a speed reader comes in quite handy when you are scanning material looking for a word or a phrase.  However, when reading a novel, you have to be careful not to read through it too fast, or you could miss the meaning in a sentence or a passage, or fail to capture the feeling the author wished to convey with his or her words.  My own reading skills are highly developed, and reading quickly is an ingrained habit, so I have to sometimes remind myself to slow down and drink the words in, instead of devouring them whole.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I consider myself a slow reader. On average it takes me about 2 minutes to finish 1 page of a novel. I have recently started practicing "speed reading" because I have to do a lot of reading for my major and I need to train myself to read faster. I also contribute my slow reading to my eyesight, but I am determined to read faster.

Now that I am getting older , I do consider myself right in the middle. If I am reading something of less interest to me I sometimes skip over a few words as to get through it quickly :wink:. However, if I am fascinated by what I am reading it takes me much more time as I often go back and read the lines that capture my imagination :smile:.

Being a writer by profession, I do read faster than my other friends and can finish reading a 300-page novel in less than a day . :) I also believe when one is into reading the whole time, he gets used to reading fast. Also, you must comprehend what you have reading so it won't go to waste. As a writer, Stephen King once said, "If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the tools to write."  :wink:

I am an average reader. I don’t know the reason but most probably it is just because I know there are other guys out there who can do it better than I do. For me I can only complete two books in day depending on the amount of time I have in hand and the number of pages in such books. Other times I can read a book for a week not because it has many pages but because it is awesome and encouraging. 

I consider myself a fast reader (also speaker!), at least compared to my school buddies. I usually read whatever we have to first in class. Or when reading news or whatever together, I wait for others to finish. But that sometimes causes me to miss some details, so when I am interested in something I try to slow myself down.

I'm a fast reader - at least a page a minute, whatever I'm reading. My fiancee says I eat books, I go through so many and, indeed, I used to have to take two with me to work every day when there was a long train ride involved!

I do have bad habits, though: I will skim over parts of a book when I get tired or when it's boring. I may also half-read the bits leading up to an exciting climax in a story because I want to get there quicker and find out what happens. I've learned to spot when I do that, though, and force myself to read everything.

Oddly enough, I never used to be able to re-read books because I would always remember what happened, even years after the first read. As I am older and read a lot more now, I find that I can go back and enjoy books again and again, which is a very nice bonus!

Are you a slow or fast reader? Do you practice reading out loud?

I read fast, but not as fast as some of my fellow comrades. I have some friends who would be like swinging their heads from left to right in a downward direction as they sweep through the pages of a novel. Some of them even finish reading 500 page  :nerd: novels in a single day. I think I can take about one day to finish a 200 page novel.

When I am reading for pleasure I go through the material fairly quickly.  A lot depends how much what I'm reading is catching my attention.  If I'm into I will really fly through the material because my level of concentration is high.

Funny enough, I am both. When it comes to reading books for fun like romance novels, I'm fast. I can finish a harlequin-sized book in a day. But if I have to read something important, especially something containing "bigger" words like legal documents, I read much slower. Of course it doesn't help that I end up re-reading paragraphs to make sure I understand what is being said correctly.

I am a slow reader. When I am reading something that really interests me and I want it to go quickly I often skim read. I glance over certain words. The worst is names I don't actually read the name or if I can see the sentence is useless information for the story I just skip a couple lines. Shocking I know!

When it's in my native tongue, I"m a fairly fast reader. But with other languages, I tend to be more patient, studious and thorough.. I'd skim through it all if I didn't discipline myself to absorb every word to try and build up my vocabulary.

I've heard that it helps to read things you already like when you're trying to learn a new language. So if you're into sports or something of that nature, picking out a sports article in Spanish might help out since you can put images you're accustomed to, to terms you're trying to learn. Just a thought :)

I tend to be a fast reader, but I am learning to slow it down. Sometimes I just get so excited, I want to hurry up and see what happens next! I think reading fast is both bad and good. Sometimes I miss little details and have to go back and reread.

I would say I'm a slightly-faster-than-average reader? I read at the same pace I would speak the words, and I guess I speak pretty fast. Though the brain can process the words and it's possible to read faster than the pace of your thoughts, I can't seem to manage it properly and end up getting confused whenever I try to speed up.

I would count myself as a fast reader, but if I need to retain the information for a test then it is obvious I would read it slow , but if it's just a light novel that I am picking up on a weekend then yeah, I'll tear through that book like a wild man.

I'm a fast reader. Whenever I read something, I do so because I already know that I'm going to like it and I breeze right through it. I don't waste my time on things that I know are not going to hold my attention.

I like to think of myself as a fast reader but to be honest, I go back to what I 'read' and I would read it again. Sometimes I think I'm reading fast, when instead I'm just scanning the pages without understanding or putting together the story. It's strange but I do need to read slower!

It all depends on what I am reading. If I am reading creative writing, I tend to read fast, if it is technical, I read it slowly. It has to do with the simplicity or complexity of the text at hand.

Either way, I am not a super fast reader. I like to take my time when I read.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you a slow or fast reader? Do you practice reading out loud?

I would say when I read in my mind I do read better and I  must say I do read a lot . However when I try reading out loud I tend to make a whole lot of mistakes. But I enjoy reading its fun.

I was extremely fast reader, because I was reading constantly. In the past years I didn't read so much, so now my reading is somewhat slower- it's like with muscles you don't use. Anyway, trying to change that.

As far as reading out loud goes...I don't do it often, so I usually make some pauses when I try. I need practice, but since I haven't really needed it as a skill I haven't left much time for it.

I would say I'm a fast reader, since I've been reading since young. Of course, it depends on the reading material as well. If I'm reading my favorite novel, I tend to slow down so as to enjoy the story-line.

I don't have a habit of reading out loud. However, some of my friends do that as it supposedly helps them concentrate better.