Linguaholic

Are you a slow/ fast reader?

Guest akasha24

I'm a mediocre level reader. Sometimes, though, if I want and i'm really motivated to read, I can go through the average page in less than 40 seconds. On the average read though, I could finish the average page in about 2 minutes.

It's not a great speed, but it's not all that bad either. I sure would like to practice my reading speed though.

I've been a reader all my life and I do believe that is the reason that I tend to be a fast reader. I tend to think that people that read on a regular basis are much faster than individuals that don't read very often.

Now when I'm reading in Spanish or in some dialects of English, I'm a slower reader because I often come across words or forms of words that I'm really not familiar with.

I'm a really fast reader. Not only when I'm reading to myself, but even out loud. Recently one of my professors even made a remark that while it's fine to read fast I should have in mind that not everyone can follow. At some points even he was having problems finding where I am at the text I'm reading lol.

I generally spend a lot of my time reading and I assume this is one of the reasons. This and also the fact that I like to speak at fast pace, but really clear so everyone can understand. I've always hated when people talk slow and that's probably the other reason.

Whenever I read I generally read slowly.  Whenever I read fast I find that I skim over important facts that may come into play later in a novel... Which is never good!  For this reason I force myself to take in each and every word so I don't miss anything.

I would say i am in between slow and fast. When i read something, i want to have a complete understanding of it. This is why i do not read fast. But at the same time, i am able to comprehend what i read pretty quickly so i do not read slow.

I am a slow reader. Can i read fast? Yes. Very. And out loud. But when i'm reading a book i read it as if someone is there talking to me. I read as if its a conversation. With all the pauses. All the ups and downs in a voice. It takes me a while to get through a book. But that the way I've done it since i was little.

I thought I was a fast reader until my boyfriend and I played, "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader," together. He was done and answering the questions before I had even begun processing what was said.

As for reading out loud, I avoid it at all costs. I get tongue tied and forget to slow down enough for people to understand me. I once read a 1:30 speech in a class in less than 30 seconds.

I am an extremely fast reader and when asked to read out loud I always would speed read and no one would understand what I was saying.  I have really had to work at being able to read aloud so that it sounds good.  I teach so I am reading out loud a lot and I still work at not speeding up when I am reading to my students. 

Both. Depending on the content and why im reading. If its something fairly simple or i don't need to internalise much of it i can read very quick, almost speed reading quick. However if its something i need to internalise, say for a test or if its contains a lot of complicated words i slow down quite a lot.

I think that I'm a very fast reader.I finish reading novels way faster than my friends.This came up after I formed a habit of reading way too many novels.

It depends on whether I'm interested in what I'm reading or not. I have to read slow to really soak in the information but I can read extremely fast. I can finish 3 pages in the time it takes some of my friends to finish 1 page. When I'm reading novels, I usually use my fast reading because I can still soak in the information but when I'm studying I read pretty slow.

I would say, I am on the moderate scale. I can read very fast and with good grasp of what I am reading especially when it is related to my interests. On the other hand, If I'm not interested in the content of what I am reading, I tend to be slow and repetitive in going back and forth to the sentences that are stated.

I'm way too fast of a reader!  I can fly through books in English (my native language) and I tend to rush through Spanish books.  Only problem there is I'm not as fluent in Spanish.  Now I've taken to reading out loud when I read in another language so I can slow down and really hone in on the language.

Depends on the content I'm reading, I just read at whatever speed my mood is in, how interesting and how though provoking the content is.

But for the most part I'm a fast reader.

I always thought I am a fast reader untill I did the ILETS exam. When I was doing it I knew how slow I am in reading. I tried to read fast but I would just not understand what I am even reading and that really hurt my mark at the end because I couldn't answer everything fast enough :(

I have taken some speed reading courses and have used the eye Q software to improve my reading speed. It really did help me out in college and I was able to focus and get all of my assignments done on time. I feel like I have slowed down a bit since though.

I'm a really slow reader, painfully slow. A lot of times I have to read twice or even three time because my attention is.. quite difficult to focus. I've even tried some methods of increasing my reading speed, but without much avail.

It depends on the content for me. If it's an enjoyable book i'm reading for fun, then I can speed read through it. However, if it's a textbook and I need to absorb all the information, then i'll take my time and often read through several passages many different times.

Are you a slow or fast reader? Do you practice reading out loud?

I'm extremely fast at reading. At least for now...I know that this could affect my eyesight sooner or later, and I will therefore have impairment when reading. However, for now, I make the most of this ability. The fast you read is a reflection of how quick your brain calculates, deduces and executes.

I'm a fast reader and it's quite a bad habit. I have to re-read the same line a few more times just to get the meaning behind it.

^This. Which is why I learned my lesson and my pace changes depending on the importance of the content I am reading. If I am just reading a news article, a novel/book, a Japanese manga or anything with not much importance then I can read fast. But if I am reading an important document such as a contract, waiver or other legal documents then I read slow and carefully. After all, these stuff tend to have a lot of contents and pages, not to mention boring so you don't want to end up re-reading them.  :laugh: