Linguaholic

Are you a slow/ fast reader?

Guest akasha24

I am quite a fast reader usually except for when reading books since I'm really trying to take in the information. When reading in German I am generally quite fast but if I really want to understand what I'm reading I have to go a bit slower.

I consider myself a slower reader, but I have increased my speed quite a bit in the last few years. Unfortunately I was not a big reader when I was young. Some books I really enjoyed reading, but that was a rare thing. When I got older I found myself reading more and more. The real boost was going beginning law school. The amount of reading required is even more than I had expected. After a few months of reading pretty much all day, everyday, I noticed my speed increasing. I was very pleased by that.

I can see how long it takes me to finish something compared to other people reading the same thing. They usually finish quicker. I like to think I comprehend more though!

Interesting question, thank you! I enjoyed reading some of the other posts on this thread.

I think that I'm in between. I could be a fast reader if I just read through it, but I like to read some lines a couple of times, just because I like to make sure that I understand it completely.

I'm a very fast reader. I think it's just like anything else. It's all about memorization. When you play a sport your brain memorizes muscle movements. When you are reading your brain memorizes collections of words and phrases. The more practice you have reading the faster you will be at it. Of course, there is a limit for each person based on a variety of factors.

I read insanely fast, at least according to my friends and girlfriend. When in class I usually read everything first by far, but that causes me to lose some details about the material I'm reading, but I can't help it, haha.

I read insanely fast, at least according to my friends and girlfriend. When in class I usually read everything first by far, but that causes me to lose some details about the material I'm reading, but I can't help it, haha.

One thing is reading, another is comprehending what you read. Maybe you should try reading slower next time  :tongue:

I suffer from the same problem, I read too fast and sometimes I can't even remember what I read, my mind just turns off while looking at the pages... I need to work on my focus.

In the morning I'm a slow reader but it picks up a bit by night. When cosy I can read quite fast.

I actually bought a program called eyeQ once which allows you to increase reading speed, although if you don't follow the program correctly you may hinder comprehension.

I'd say I am a very fast reader at most times. However my speed of reading depends to a great extent on the depth of the matter that is being conveyed. I am pretty slow when reading content in self-help books. I take my time to let each word really sink in.

My speed of reading also depends on whether I'm reading in my mind or aloud. I'm a moderately fast reader when I'm reading in my mind. When I read out aloud, I am pretty fast  :grin:

I am a fast reader, I don't read too fast though because I quite enjoy reading and I do find it irritating when I finish a book or two in a day and then have nothing to read, I never read out loud though.

When I read to myself, I always skim text, and people have questioned me as to how I've responded so fast over Facebook, yet if i read out loud, I misread words, speak slowly and usually become a nervous wreck. It's most likely a confidence issue, as I can read/write perfectly well, Only when It comes to reading out loud do i mess things up.

I am a slow reader, but I find I have to be.  I am easily distracted, so I find if I do not read slowly, I have to go back and re-read.  I am not externally distracted, but I get internally distracted from thinking about something I just read, while I am reading the next paragraph.

I consider myself to be a quite fast reader, but I guess in reality I'm more of a "normal" reader. Compared to my sister I read pretty slow (she finishes really thick books in just a few hours) but compared to others I know I do read sort of fast. I think it depends on what it is I'm reading too, if I read a really good book I can get really caught up and just continue reading until I finish the book. If I on the other hand read something rather boring or something that is hard to understand I read much slower.

I think I am a fast reader, at least compared to my boyfriend. Sometimes we read articles together and he's always like:" Wow, you're already done, while I am right in the middle of the article". I am also capable of finishing books with 500+ pages in a few hours.

I wish I was a fast reader but I'm not. Sometimes I even read pages in books twice so everything is really saturated in :grin: I'm not sure quite why though. I wish I could just skim read a page and go on to the next but I like to absorb every last word and detail, otherwise I feel like I haven't read anything!

At first, I wasn't much of a good reader at all. I was slow and slightly dyslexic, but now I'm actually pretty fast.

My exercise into becoming a fast leader was to always speak. I told myself to never stutter and never leave any spaces in between my words. Try to read smoothly and in an easy pace.

I think I'm a reasonably fast reader, but much faster with physical books than digital text. I devour thick books really fast, I have a few library cards so I can get a decent amount of books stocked up without having to go back every three days. If the subject matter is boring though, I suddenly slow to a snail's pace :P

I am a really fast reader to the point that I read it fast that I can't even understand my own self! I just read really fast that I just don't care what is the meaning of the words that I am reading so I have to go back again and go slower.

I am a fairly fast reader, even faster typist. I don't read aloud anymore. I used to in grade school, but my reading and writing abilities are above average now. I'm thankful for that ability because a lot of people don't have the advantages I had as a child, which is the main reason that I am on the level I am on now.

As said on the first page, it depends on why I'm reading. If it's not important I'll glance over it quickly but if I'm looking for something than I read much slower and focus more on the text.