Linguaholic

Are you a slow/ fast reader?

Guest akasha24

• 2 weeks later...

I have never measured the time I take reading, but I can make a difference whether I am reading or I am studying. If it's a novel or a newspaper I read fairly fast, but if it's a book I'm studying I go back and forth and take my time.

Normally I am a pretty fast reader but it depends on what i'm reading. i can read a page in a book in like a few minutes but if it fan fic it takes a little longer. Like maybe around 8 minutes.

When reading out loud, I tend to be on the slow side. But when I read quietly, I absorb the text very quickly. I am also a very fast reader of books, usually starting on the back page. After that I read the beginning and often flicker through to the middle, just quickly brushing over a few sentences.

If I am deeply interested in a novel, I start at the beginning and let the story unfold slowly. :)

When reading out loud, I tend to be on the slow side. But when I read quietly, I absorb the text very quickly. I am also a very fast reader of books, usually starting on the back page. After that I read the beginning and often flicker through to the middle, just quickly brushing over a few sentences.

If I am deeply interested in a novel, I start at the beginning and let the story unfold slowly. :)

This is a good point Dora, when reading out loud all of us are slower and more than that, sometimes we don't even understand what we are reading. This happened to me at school, I was so focused in reading that I didn't manage to understand what I was reading.

This depends, but I try to read in a normal pace. Normal as in, not too fast that I couldn't read anything properly, but not too slow that it'd take me decades to finish something.

I only read something slow when I have to understand them (i.e., philosophical texts, lessons at school, or a book I'm really interested in), and I only read something fast when I challenge myself or when I have to (i.e., quick reviewing, scanning and skimming notes).

But when it comes to books, I always read in a regular pace and re-read when I want to understand and analyze something better.

• 3 weeks later...

I am able to read fast when necessary, however most of the time I like to read slowly. This way I savor what I am reading. You would not rush though a movie just to get to the end ,so why rush though a book. Take the the time to enjoy what you read.

I am a fast reader. I take pride in that a lot because during English or Reading classes, I finish the stories first, therefore I am able to discuss it with my mentor more than others. It's also convenient when I so badly want to finish a novel and know what happens next. Yeah!

But I don't usually read aloud. I tend to lose focus on the content of the piece because I concentrate on the delivery, even when I'm alone.

I would consider myself a fast reader. I read at a speed of about 1000 words per minute, typically.

This skill has been a saving grace, many times. I know it definitely comes in handy on tests where a lot of reading is required!

Even if I tried, I don't think I'd be able to slow myself down very much; this is simply my natural and most comfortable reading speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I read just fine. Not that slow and not that fast. I have encountered people who actually read slower than I do, but never those that read faster. No, I am not a fast reader because I could still not take away sub-vocalization while I am reading.

I used to be a slow reader while I was still learning English, but as I started getting the hang of it more, my comprehension skills improved. And with that, everything else, including reading and writing skills improved too.

I'm generally a fairly fast reader, and as I am very fluent in english I don't find myself reading it out loud or anything. I do however read things out loud when it comes to Japanese, since I'm a beginner at that, and I am sure I read things out loud all the time when I was a beginner at english too.

I wouldn't claim that I'm a very fast reader, and sometimes I even feel like I'm a very slow reader, but I think I'm pretty average.

I'm a fast reader, but sometimes, when I read too fast, I need to re-read the passage or an entire paragraph because I didn't understand what I have read because there's something else in my mind. Haha! So I will slow down reading, then take down new unfamiliar words and look on the dictionary or thesaurus for meanings.

I consider myself a moderate speed reader, but it depends on what I'm reading or what the purpose of my reading is. For example I'm reading a novel, then I would read slowly to take in all the information. But if I'm skimming for answers on google then I'll read faster.  :laugh:

It depends on many factors, such as what I'm reading, what is its purpose (I can read entertaining literature much faster than technical books), and of course, the language. In Hungarian I can read quite fast, but in English I sometimes stop to look up a few words or phrases in a dictionary, which slows down my reading.

I used to think everyone read at the same speed until people started telling me that I read fast. My friends or family would show me something they thought was funny and say "read this" and I would read it so quickly that they believed I hadn't even read it at all. I think I read faster in my mind than I do aloud. Even then, I still read pretty quickly. I just grew up reading everything, so I think that played a part.

I personally think it depends on what I'm reading. For example: When I was reading the Game Of Thrones books, after each chapter I liked to put the book down and think, "WOW. Did that really just happen?" and then shortly after I would start reading the book again because it is the type of book that you don't want to put down.

Whereas, when I read Twilight (yes, I am ashamed). I would read it while doing other things. I would read the book while I had five minutes waiting for the school ride, or whatever. I would read every now and again, when I had a few spare minutes or while I was free. I didn't make time for the book like I did with the Game Of Thrones books.

So in my honest opinion, it depends on the type of thing you are reading, and how much you enjoy it.

Hope this helps.  :smile:

Also, read the Game Of Thrones books! Your mind will be blown!

I have always been a fast reader... and when the mood to read strikes me, I usually go through one book after another.  Sometimes I won't allow myself to buy another book for my Kindle until I've read all the books I've already bought for it.  Well, those are the times I read fastest because I want to get through them and look for more!  :amazed:

I never read aloud when I'm reading to myself, no.  I only do that when I'm reading a passage from a book to someone else.