Linguaholic

Are you a slow/ fast reader?

Guest akasha24

I don't read aloud when I read books because that way I can read faster. I don't consider myself a slow nor fast reader, plus it really depends on the books. If I really like the book, I read it slow. If I don't like the book or part of the scene, I usually read fast to try to go through that part. I believe I am a moderate reader.

It depends. I read fast when I'm reading things I'm interested in because I'm more focused.

If I'm reading something I have no interest in (such as an assigned reading), then I'll read slower and lose my focus.

English is my native language, so I have a pretty good head start there :) But among native speakers, I'd say that I'm on the faster side.

In order to truly read at a level people would call "speedreading" though, you have to learn to read without "speaking" in your head. The little voice that reads along with you slows you down—not as much as actually reading out loud, but still it does hinder your speed a bit.

:sweating:

I am a fast reader. I think it's natural to increase your reading speed if you read regularly and widely. I try hard not to read out loud too.

I remember when I took a Reading class in high school, I was taught speed reading. I had to read 20 pages in 30 minutes, which was too difficult for me because I didn't quite enjoy the story much.

I read too fast. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I don't absorb all of the material, and when my purpose in reading is to fill my down time, I finish the book too quickly to have it simmer into my down time naturally. I guess I could be called a binge reader? I really do love to read, but growing up I made it a contest with myself to finish books faster and faster, and now it just isn't as enjoyable anymore. I always feel like I'm racing against no one! The only books I have read slowly are the ones by George Eliot. I think it's because they are so chock full of psychology, intricate relationships, and extensive dialogue, that if I do not slow down, I lose interest. I think I'm going to look into deeper books to slow me down?!

Because my mother tongue is English and I started reading at a young age, I read very quickly. I also learned most of the grammar rules of English from reading, as it wasn't taught very well in school.

Guest isabbbela

With me it's funny, cause it depends on the book! If the book is very interesting and has a topic and theme I love, it might take me several minutes per page, cause I want to read everything, not miss a thing, and I will often stop to picture what that moment would be like in real life.

Books and book parts that are not quite that interesting I tend to read through pretty fast.

I guess you can say I am a slow reader. I like to read things carefully and make sure I understand what is written. I think it is great that people can read fast and I would like to be one of them...

I am with you. I would read slow because I want to make sure I understand the story or document, so I won't have to repeat when there's something wrong.

I'm generally a fast reader, but if I were to read something that I'm not interested in or if it's a textbook, then I would read slow. I used to read out loud when I was younger; I would play school with my stuffed animals because I was an only child at the time. Reading out loud helps with your speech and pronunciation. 

I'd say I have a moderate speed when it comes to reading. I can read a bit faster, but I usually drift off whenever I try to do so and eventually I'll just find myself reading the words without really understanding. If I had to read fast, or skim through a few paragraphs, though, I'd say I do it relatively faster than average.

Being a fast or a slow reader depends much on what I'm reading something for.

When I need to find a reference, I tend to go faster through all lines to find if the reading contains the sensitive part I'm looking for.

When i want to enjoy the reading or practice my understanding and/or pronunciation, then I go slow with it ;)

I'm not a very fast reader, but I'm not a slow one either. I know how to read properly tho :)  A while ago I read a full book on increasing your reading speed.  It was written by Tony Buzan, who is supposed to be a total expert on this topic, he also created the mind mapping method. 

In this books he mentions you will never be able to have a good reading speed if you keep reading words aloud. I totally agree with that, because as he mentioned in this book... most of us started reading words aloud, but if you continue doing this as an adult... then you haven't really progressed the way you should have. This book is great, by the way!  It comes with a lot useful exercises and tests that help you monitor your progress :)

I am a fast reader ,I think it's a lot to do with the fact that I grew up having to read subtitles a lot while watching movies. I remembered first time I had to do it, I couldn't catch up with the sentences. I'd always behind and missed it but after a while,I got a lot better.

The problem with me is I can read out loud but it's like I'd read for the sake of reading it if something occupies my mind so I wouldn't even know what I was reading. I know for sure I am a fast reader compare to my husband's.

I am a very fast reader. It probably has to do with the fact that I have been reading a lot ever since I was a little kid. I don't think there is a better way to improve your reading pace than just reading a lot. After a while your brain just gets used to processing everything really quickly.

Being a fast or a slow reader depends much on what I'm reading something for.

When I need to find a reference, I tend to go faster through all lines to find if the reading contains the sensitive part I'm looking for.

When i want to enjoy the reading or practice my understanding and/or pronunciation, then I go slow with it ;)

That's my experience as well.  I do a lot of research on a daily basis and I'm used to skimming content quickly to get the gist and/or to find the key points that I need.  When checking out news stories and social media, I'm the same way, very fast, so as to save time and get more done more quickly.

I find this useful as it also helps me improve my reading speed and comprehension.  I don't use any particular system or method, it's just trial and error. 

However, when I read literature or nonfiction that I enjoy, especially novels and stories that have many levels of complexity and/or the use of language is in some way especially compelling, I will slow down so as to fully savor and appreciate it. 

If the material is something that I'm already familiar with then I read it fast. If I really need to comprehend something then I take my time and read slower. My daughter is 8 and she thinks that reading fast is what your supposed to do. She likes to hurry up and finish the books. Then when I ask her about what happened in it she has no idea. I'm trying to teach her to slow down and actually learn what is happening in the stories.

I usually read at a steady pace. I tend to get tongue tied, so I try not to read too quickly. There is no need to read quickly out loud. The whole point of reading out loud is to have people understand what you are saying.

I'm a pretty fast reader, mainly because at this point in my life I do a lot of reading. I tend to make more reading errors when I read out load though. I remember a time in my life when I was a really slow at reading, those days I didn't do much reading. In conclusion, I think reading speed has a lot to do with how much and how often you read.

I think kinda fast but not actually what you would call fast, I don't read out loud altough I do it sometimes on accident but usually when I don't really get what the text is saying.