Linguaholic

Are you a slow/ fast reader?

Guest akasha24

It depends. If the book is something that I would read casually, I can definitely breeze through it. I don't really read out loud most of the time, only when I want to feel the emotions on text more. As for my science books in the uni, I have to take time to really digest the meaning because I need to understand it. Same goes for something like Shakespeare or KJV Bible. 

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think it depends on what I read.

Interesting book will be read by me in few hours, boring study materials will take me long hours just because I can't focus on them and I have to re-read. In general though, I'm a quite fast reader.

I am a fast reader who reads a lot for work and pleasure.  I am told I talk fast unless I am putting on a presentation.  If I had to read out loud, I think it would actually slow me down and be uncomfortable.  That contrasts though with I am very fluent and conversant "off the cuff" but scripted I am not used to.

I've been practicing fast reading for awhile and I feel I'm getting better at it, a word of advice, don't use those "speed reading" programs, they're all humbug.

I think I'm quite a fast reader in my native tongue (English). I sort of skim read, which means that sometimes I think I've missed something but when I go back I haven't usually. I'm faster than my dad anyway :) But I can't read properly in any other language yet.

I would say that I'm a fairly fast reader in both my native language and English. But the thing is I'm easily distracted and get lost in my thoughts, so I have to read one paragraph several times before I actually "read" it.

I would consider myself to be a pretty fast reader. I have mastered the art of fast comprehension. I am able to comprehend what i am reading at a good pace. I think it helps when you are taught to read at an early age. It also helps when you do a lot of reading with regularity in your spare time.

I am generally a fast reader especially when reading literature just for entertainment, for example a novel. But when it comes to reading for an exam I tend to crawl through the pages, at least so that the information can sink in.

I actually read faster in English than in my native language (Portuguese). I find English an easy language to learn and therefore to read/speak too; can't really read slow, no matter if fluent in it or not. It's a thing.

I am a fast reader. I think it's natural to increase your reading speed if you read regularly and widely. I try hard not to read out loud too.

I can definitely attest to that. Your reading speed will only naturally increase as you continue to read. I am a fast reader, and I find that if I do get in the mode of reading everyday (like I occasionally do), then my reading, typing, thinking, reasoning and verbal expression also speed up. I try to keep it moderate though when I'm talking (don't want to talk too fast).

They say reading keeps our mind buzzing! That is why I love to read. And if your are going to ask me whether I am a slow or fast reader I can be both of them. I am a fast reader if the book I am reading is interesting for me and I am a slow reader if I am reading something that needs careful reading and understanding. It is just a matter of how I will find myself to make my reading enjoyable! :)

I believe I'm in the middle. When we were reading some texts back at school, I would always finish just a touch before most people. Being a fast reader could be handy in some situations though, so it's good to learn and read faster.

I think I'm a fast reader. I can get through a book very, very quickly. Though I'm never sure just how fast I am until I show a friend something like an online comic, and I wait for them to read it. That's when I'm reaffirmed in just how fast my reading is.

When I am reading for pleasure I generally read fairly fast, especially if its an excellent novel.  When I am trying to learn something I go quite a bit slower and will re-read the text as much as possible.  Generally it all depends on what it is I am reading and what I am trying to get out of it. 

I tend to read fast. It depends on what I am actually reading on how fast I am actually reading though. For example, if I am reading a favorite book of mine, I tend to read very fast, since I have I have it memorized. I always thought I read silently, but apparently, as I read I move my mouth/mouth the words I am saying.

It really depend on the text.

I've had to read philosophy and boy it was hard. And since philosophers like to use not-so-common adjectives it really makes it difficult.

On the other side, when I read an article or when I'm chatting with a friend I can understand it very easy so I can read things a lot faster.

My speed of reading typically depends on the familiarity with the subject matter.  If it is a technical piece of writing and I am familiar, I can read at a rapid pace.  If unfamiliar topics are presented, it usually slows me down.

I'm fast at reading. But sometimes I have to read again because English isn't my mother tongue so it can be hard for me to understand something. I think I should slow down, it would help me to improve my reading.

I think I am a fast reader.Maybe because I been spending a lot of time reading books. It's one of my hobbies so I guess my reading skill improved greatly. But when I read aloud it's a different story. It's a bit slow, compare to reading without a sound. :wink:

I am generally a fast reader when it comes to reading books that have garnered my interest. If it is not so  exciting then i think that it will be hard for me to give that book my full attention. It could take me months to get through it. But i like to think that i have a decent speed.