Linguaholic

Are you a slow/ fast reader?

Guest akasha24

I'm a fast reader, can easily gobble up a large 300-400 page book in one evening. Also very fast reading in English, maybe only a tad bit slower than in my native language. On the other hand my speaking and listening skills are still rather lacking, so I forcefully try to watch more movies without subtitles rather than read.

It depends on how you'd define slow or fast.  I read fiction but I don't remember the last time I read every single word in any of the books. I hate descriptions of places, people, etc because I know most of the time they add nothing to the story. So when I get to such places I simply skim over them. Using such methods, I'm able to read a book in a very short time. In short therefore, it's hard to tell but on face value, I am a very fast reader.

p.s I never read aloud.

My reading speed depends on what I am reading and whether or not I am trying to learn something.  Novels I generally go through fairly quickly although it does depend on the author.  At times I have to check myself and my speed because I tend to get going too fast and miss important parts of the material.

Scribendi: World-Class Editing and Proofreading

That depends on what am I reading. When I try to read something that doesn't interests me at all, it usually takes way longer that when I read a book or article I enjoy. As for reading out loud, I did that when I was younger. I remember that I used to read out loud from my English book, because, even if you don't learn anything, at least you can improve your accent :laugh:.

I'd say I'm a pretty fast reader. I've read a little about speed reading and its techniques. So, I've tried incorporating some of those techniques when I read and it does help out a lot. Reading textbooks for school is just a PAIN, speed reading makes it a bit less of an annoyance  :wink:.

Personally I read quite quickly and I'm a native English speaker for reference. I've been developing my skills since an early age thanks to my mother and I'm glad that I have done, it comes in useful every time I need to read something so I'm glad I have this skill!

Are you a slow or fast reader? Do you practice reading out loud?

I think of myself as a fast reader but my husband is incredibly fast.  He can finish a book, quite large, within a day.  It's crazy!

I'm usually pretty slow. I don't know why, but I tend to lose track of text every now and then, especially when reading long papers or books. I have to wait a couple seconds and start again constantly. My writing speeds are decent at least.

My reading speed is pretty average although I have tried learning speed-reading and could actually increase my reading speed almost 3 times without losing much comprehension, but I stopped practicing it and my reading speed returned to normal which is about 220 words per minute.

I'm usually pretty slow. I don't know why, but I tend to lose track of text every now and then, especially when reading long papers or books. I have to wait a couple seconds and start again constantly. My writing speeds are decent at least.

I do that all the time. I think it has something to do with thinking on your own while reading something. Your mind loses the thread and doesn't know what to focus on. It happens to me a lot when I'm reading novels, especially at boring parts.

I would say that I am quite a fast reader as I can normally read a page of a book within 30-6o seconds, but most days I like to take my time reading. And I always read out load, I find it much more enjoyable to do that.

I'm capable of reading pretty quickly, while actually comprehending the words. However, I'm a horrible reader in that I usually zone out after the first few sentences. I'm not sure what it is, but I can't read books. I'll get halfway through a paragraph and suddenly realize I've got no idea what I've been reading, just that I've been identifying every word, but haven't been connecting them. I have no idea why. Maybe it's from lack of interest in the material I'm reading. I can occasionally read pages and pages of stuff and actually stay focused. So maybe it's an interest thing.

I can read quickly, and used to be a very fast reader. I've trained myself to slow down over the years since I realized there were too many books I had read but forgotten!

Not even kidding, it's awkward to buy a new copy book you've already read. But it's even more awkward to be a quarter of the way in before the penny drops.

I noticed that I'm quite a slow reader as compared to others, but I'm also slow in writing and eating, so I guess I'm a slow mover in general. But even if I'm like that, I'm quite comfortable with my reading pace. It would be weird if I try to improve how I read, since I'm already in my 20's.

I'm an incredibly slow reader. Often times when reading something with a friend they'll finish the page way before me and they'd have to wait for about a minute or two before I finished. I have a bad habit of going back and rereading a section even if all I missed was one word. I end up rereading pretty the whole thing a couple times.

I consider myself a fast reader, only because I tend to skip words that you don't really need to understand a sentence, or you already know from context. For example, if I were reading a dog training guide and saw the sentence, "A dog likes to play with a ball," I read, "Dog likes ball."

If I actually want to try and actually comprehend something instead of skimming it, though, I'm a pretty slow reader, especially when reading aloud.

I find myself to be a very fast reader. I blow through books really fast, especially when I find one I can't put down. I'll carry it everywhere, and do tasks with one hand, a book in the other.

I am generally a fast reader, though I do like to take my time while reading novels. Especially ones with huge words. When it comes to reading out loud, however, I'm not very good at it and I tend to trip over words. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not used to reading out loud, or if it's just because I get nervous letting other people hear me.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to be a decently fast reader. I have the ability to read pretty quickly, though I actively read slower with novels or content I know I have to absorb (like when studying from textbooks). I notice that I remember things better when I read at a moderate pace rather than as fast as I can.

Though that's just English. I'm horrid slow when it comes to reading Korean. I can read it without much second-guessing now, but it takes me a pretty long time to get through sentences. I need a lot more practice.