Linguaholic

music for learning?

Qamra

Do you find music helpful when learning Arabic?

If so, what type of music do you listen to while studying?

I found myself listening to nasheeds because although they are often written in difficult language, they're grammatically correct and help me avoid jargon.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I like Nancy Ajram, Amr Diab, Tamer Hosny, Myriam Fares, Haifa, Najwa Karam, Elissa, Fayrouz, Om Kalthoum, Sabah, Khalid, Rachid Taha and Marwoun Khouri. I also like Khaleeji music alot but I don't know the names of the singers.

I must admit I love Arabic pop too! I spent some time translating Nancy Ajram's songs. I also love Samira Sayid but I prefer to stick to Middle Eastern music as this is dialect of my interest.

I must check the rest of singers you mentioned.

I also listen to mostly Nancy Ajram and Amr Diab. There were some good Moroccan singers as well who sang in Masri and Lubnaani dialects (both being so much easier to understand) as well as their own native dialects, but I just can't recall their names.

I also listen to mostly Nancy Ajram and Amr Diab. There were some good Moroccan singers as well who sang in Masri and Lubnaani dialects (both being so much easier to understand) as well as their own native dialects, but I just can't recall their names.

Samira Sai3d is from morocco and sings mostly in Egyptian. Is that who you are thinking of? Saber Rebai is from Tunisia and mostly sings in Levantine. Actually it's hard to know which ones because they useually all sing in either Egyptian or Levantine  :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very helpful album on Spotify called 'Sing and Learn Arabic' that was put out by Stephane Husar. The songs are definitely targeted toward children but the first song is a catchy version of the alphabet that has really helped me remember it. 

• 1 month later...

Yes! So many great suggestions of Arabic music in this thread! Thanks to you all! Music, I find, is the best way for me to really grasp a language. It helps me pay more attention to tone and context especially! Looking forward to listening to these recommended artists

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not at all, I thought TV was bad enough for that, but music?  It's way worse!  Specially for arabic, but it can help a little bit if you already know arabic and are just trying to enjoy some music (you can understand most words if you are good enough), you can use it as a confirmation... just that's it!

I recommend a more serious method... like for example an  online course or  taking a course at a local school, maybe an embassy?

• 1 year later...

I think music is not a good way to learn Arabic, it is actually quite a distracting way, in my honest opinion.

People who can sing Arabic are clearly people who know Arabic really well and people who tend to know their language really well, tend to speak really fast so it will be hard to understand the actually Arabic in the music (atleast for me).

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit confused right now, I thought that Egyptians spoke Arabic. Forgive my ignorance once again.  I have friends who are Egyptian and Moroccan and speak arabic to each other. In another post I read here it stated as if Egyptians spoke Egyptian. 

• 3 months later...