Linguaholic

Canceled or Cancelled?

sabraina

• 2 months later...

I'm comfortable with both UK and US variations.

We used British English system in our education and are exposed to US English everyday through media (Hollywood, MTVs and the like  :laugh:).

All I need to be mind of is to use only one version in formal writings, although UK version is much preferred here in my country.

Cancelled is the correct spelling as far as I know. I have never heard or seen canceled as a variant. But there seems to be a variant between the US and the UK. That figures.

The are a lot of different words from US and UK English, but I think cancelled is the correct word, at least I've never seen canceled written anywhere. Probably that isn't wrong either?

Cancelled is right. It's a common spelling mistake from people. Just like with traveling. They double the L sometimes on that word.

• 2 months later...

The correct one is cancelled, with 2 ls. Yes, it's confusing because in English, usually you have to add d or ed at the end of the word to form its past tense. But with here, another l is added before the ed, which somehow deviates from the rules of forming the past tense of an English regular verb. I have been also confused by it.

Isn't this just like the difference between "color" and "colour" or "localise" and "localize" ?

I myself was taught to use "cancelled" so I am more comfortable with using it.

But I think it's both acceptable as the message they are trying to convey is the same.

But I am not sure if there's a slight difference in pronunciation.....or are they pronounced the same way?

• 3 weeks later...

It is quite confusing in my case as to whether to use "cancelled" or "canceled" since both forms are apparently correct.  Actually, the same thing applies when using the verb forms of "level" and "label" as well as the verb "grovel" but not with the word "rebel" as it is no doubt that the past tense is "rebelled." For purposes of consistency though, I always prefer two L's instead of just one.