Linguaholic

Tagalog verb forms

BWL

Hi

I am a native speaker of Malay and Indonesian and I notice that Tagalog has many words in common, some with slightly different meanings but still close. Words like "sayang", "tolak", "minum", "langit", "muka", "paha", "telinga", "surat", "putih", etc. are very close in these languages. The one difference between Tagalog and Malay/ Indonesian is that Tagalog and other Filipino languages have huge numbers of forms for inflected words.

For example, you can say (please correct me if I'm wrong, as I learned Tagalog years ago) - bili, bumili, bumibili, bibili, binili, binibili, bibilhin, binilhan, binibilhan, bibilhan, makabili, nakabili, nakakabili, makakabili, ibili, etc ad inifinitum (well almost).

Are there good sites or learning materials to help learn all those forms of  words and their functions in a sentence?

Thanks

I would be more than glad to teach you Tagalog. :)

However, "minum" (which I think means 'to drink') is not a Tagalog word but a Kapampangan word which is the language that is being used in Pampanga and Tarlac provinces. :)

You are right in saying that there are many words that similar in the Filipino and Malay/Indonesian languages. I know how the variety of inflected words could be difficult to understand for foreigners. Sadly, I do not know of any site that teaches this particular subject. I'll be sure to get back on this thread to inform you if ever I stumble upon such a site.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Kapampangan! :) Yeah, minum is Tagalog for "to drink". It's great to see other Asians trying to learn about our language. It can be confusing since we have so many other dialects aside from our mother tongue.

There are many similarities between Filipino dialects / languages with Malay and Indonesian. We say "sayang" too!

I always find the Tagalog verbs to be confusing due to the dozens (hundreds?) of forms for a single word; bumili, bumibili, bibili, binili, binibili, bibilhin, bilhin, makabili, nakabili, nakakabili, makakabili, ibili etc. and so on and so forth!

It's a very rich language with so many shades of meaning to a word!