Linguaholic

Correct way to describe someone?

Good afternoon,

I was hoping someone could help me with a bit of explanation. I am sorry for writing in Romaji. I don't like using it but my computer does not seem to be able to type Japanese characters. 

In a video by Yuko Sensei on Youtube she explained how to describe someone. 

What you have to say is Tanaka San wa me ga chiisai desu.

Can you also say Tanaka San no me wa chiisai desu?

If not, can someone explain why?

Thank you in advance for all your help. 

• Talita changed the title to Correct way to describe someone?
  • 7 months later...

Honestly, "Tanaka-san wa" when describing someone is really weird.
That would rather mean "Tanaka is a small eye".
Therefore, "Tanaka-san no" is the correct one as that would translate to "Tanaka's eyes are small".

3 minutes ago, Blaveloper said:

Honestly, "Tanaka-san wa" when describing someone is really weird.
That would rather mean "Tanaka is a small eye".
Therefore, "Tanaka-san no" is the correct one as that would translate to "Tanaka's eyes are small".

Hey Blaveloper, long time no see:=) Great to see you back on here!

8 hours ago, linguaholic said:

Hey Blaveloper, long time no see:=) Great to see you back on here!

I ended up getting busy with work and all that kind of non-sense, and also slightly changed my email address from a .wtf to a .ne.jp domain, which ultimately led me to completely forget about this site.

Many major things happened in the mean time like me moving to Japan, and by this fulfilling my top wish.
Now 2 years after moving, I'm still happy to be here, although since I work for a Japanese company I've not been using English or any other language for a very long time.

16 minutes ago, Blaveloper said:

I ended up getting busy with work and all that kind of non-sense, and also slightly changed my email address from a .wtf to a .ne.jp domain, which ultimately led me to completely forget about this site.

Many major things happened in the mean time like me moving to Japan, and by this fulfilling my top wish.
Now 2 years after moving, I'm still happy to be here, although since I work for a Japanese company I've not been using English or any other language for a very long time.

That's very interesting, Blaveloper! I kinda did the opposite thing. I moved back from China half a year ago. And I am actually really happy to be back. As you could probably imagine with all that Coronavirus madness going on!

There are not that many changes in the Linguaholic forum as you see. However, I have a nice little blog now and I publish stuff there regulary: Linguaholic Blog

Work in Japan must be pretty intense, I imagine? I worked two years in China...that was intense too, but not only that :=)

3 hours ago, linguaholic said:

That's very interesting, Blaveloper! I kinda did the opposite thing. I moved back from China half a year ago. And I am actually really happy to be back. As you could probably imagine with all that Coronavirus madness going on!

There are not that many changes in the Linguaholic forum as you see. However, I have a nice little blog now and I publish stuff there regulary: Linguaholic Blog

Work in Japan must be pretty intense, I imagine? I worked two years in China...that was intense too, but not only that :=)

Intensitivity of work in Japan depends on the company.
The company I work for is well established, has lots of customers of all sorts of companies, but the staff list is just me and 2 others (including employer), so things are actually more relaxed here than work back in the Netherlands (I have nobody yelling at me for every question I ask, salary is a bit higher, work times are flexible (if I start at 10:00, I end at 19:00. if I start at 9:00, I end at 18:00. and so on.), etc.).

But entirely getting rid of overtime is actually getting more and more common, due to improved labour laws combined with the younger generation refusing to work like their parents do/did.
The latter often ended up in them setting up independent companies, and major companies looked at it and thought "Oh shit! They have way smaller staff, they work way less, and yet they are way more productive!", which led them into cutting overtime by a lot, and then ultimately getting rid of it altogether.

There are still companies that have overtime today, but they usually work against the law, and often hire foreigners from other Asian countries to remain under the radar for as long as possible, as they know that foreigners from outside of Asia will most likely sue them really quick while Asian foreigners would rather keep quiet.

As for miss. Corona, I think that with the exceptions to China, Korea and Iran, it's affecting western Europe way harder than it does in Asia.
Numbers of infections in Asia are much higher, but the total population is also way bigger, and most countries here have responded quickly in their own ways (I think that Taiwan did by far the best job), although mostly reactive.
Eastern Europe from what I've seen is proactively responding, which has kept their numbers quite low too.

According to family and internet-only friends, people in western Europe simply don't care at all, and all measures that have proven effective over here are constantly being discouraged and/or banned over there, which is a big mindfuck to me.
And you can see it if you look at how quickly the numbers of infections are growing there compared to here (minus Korea, Iran, and maybe China if they stop hiding it).

4 hours ago, Blaveloper said:

Intensitivity of work in Japan depends on the company.
The company I work for is well established, has lots of customers of all sorts of companies, but the staff list is just me and 2 others (including employer), so things are actually more relaxed here than work back in the Netherlands (I have nobody yelling at me for every question I ask, salary is a bit higher, work times are flexible (if I start at 10:00, I end at 19:00. if I start at 9:00, I end at 18:00. and so on.), etc.).

But entirely getting rid of overtime is actually getting more and more common, due to improved labour laws combined with the younger generation refusing to work like their parents do/did.
The latter often ended up in them setting up independent companies, and major companies looked at it and thought "Oh shit! They have way smaller staff, they work way less, and yet they are way more productive!", which led them into cutting overtime by a lot, and then ultimately getting rid of it altogether.

There are still companies that have overtime today, but they usually work against the law, and often hire foreigners from other Asian countries to remain under the radar for as long as possible, as they know that foreigners from outside of Asia will most likely sue them really quick while Asian foreigners would rather keep quiet.

As for miss. Corona, I think that with the exceptions to China, Korea and Iran, it's affecting western Europe way harder than it does in Asia.
Numbers of infections in Asia are much higher, but the total population is also way bigger, and most countries here have responded quickly in their own ways (I think that Taiwan did by far the best job), although mostly reactive.
Eastern Europe from what I've seen is proactively responding, which has kept their numbers quite low too.

According to family and internet-only friends, people in western Europe simply don't care at all, and all measures that have proven effective over here are constantly being discouraged and/or banned over there, which is a big mindfuck to me.
And you can see it if you look at how quickly the numbers of infections are growing there compared to here (minus Korea, Iran, and maybe China if they stop hiding it).

I see! Very interesting indeed!

And I do completely agree that here in the West, people don't take this stuff serious enough and everybody is just doing what they want instead of drastic measures being implemented. However, this also has to do with the fact that in China, we got a 1 party government and they can just simply do whatever they want and they can get stuff done very quickly like that. 

In Switzerland, everything takes forever as the decision making process is just so different from the one used in China and so many parties are involved. But yea, I also wish that we could somehow deal more efficiently with that Virus here. 

I do have severa niche websites in the travel business and you can imagine that they are not doing well at all at the moment due to COVID-19. 

4 hours ago, linguaholic said:

I see! Very interesting indeed!

And I do completely agree that here in the West, people don't take this stuff serious enough and everybody is just doing what they want instead of drastic measures being implemented. However, this also has to do with the fact that in China, we got a 1 party government and they can just simply do whatever they want and they can get stuff done very quickly like that. 

In Switzerland, everything takes forever as the decision making process is just so different from the one used in China and so many parties are involved. But yea, I also wish that we could somehow deal more efficiently with that Virus here. 

I do have severa niche websites in the travel business and you can imagine that they are not doing well at all at the moment due to COVID-19. 

It has pros and cons I guess.
If I read about the planned measures when it goes too much up next time, it actually sounds super creepy to me.
Like one of them being that the government becomes able to simply take over any random building and convert them into quarantine centre without the building owners' consent.
Which also means that people actually living in that building can't tell them to get the fuck out of there too.

If this happens, I really hope that people will make a big deal about it and not let it become yet another "しょうがない" (it can't be helped) situation.
I love the way how Japan is all about avoiding conflict, respect, and all of that, but I hate that it immediately means that everyone will put a blind eye to pretty much everything.

• 5 months later...
21 minutes ago, UtagawaA said:

Is this like the eminent domain in other countries? Aren’t the owners going to be paid?

Not sure what eminent domain means?