Linguaholic

Your Opinion Of Slang

Baburra

I have to admit that I like everything to be proper, but I still find some slang words to be hilarious and entertaining, and most of the time, very creative. If only at the very least, I appreciate slang words and phrases for their creativity, albeit sometimes crass. There are some that don't appeal to me, though, for some reason. I'd love to know why this is, but I guess it just all boils down to taste. I've heard of and met people who absolutely hate it completely though, but they were mostly older folks, and I doubt there are still people in the current generation who are as conventional. Any of you out there who are still 100% proper? Would you like to be? Or do you prefer to use colloquial terms more?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Language, itself, is like a symphony, with a rhythm and internal coherence that one often feels. I listened once to a novelist explain how he tried to find just the right phrase to describe someone about to be overcome with passion. He tried, 'consumed with lust', 'inflamed with lust' and a few others before just the right phrase occurred to him: what he wrote was 'thick with lust.' Immediately when he said it, I, too, knew that it was just the right phrase. So as language evolves, new slang is introduced. As time goes on, those that were forced soon sound dated (hep cat, cool dude, etc.) while those that resonate on a very deep level cease to be slang and become integral parts of the language.

I love slang. At the end of the day, language is situational and brings people together. If you are in an area that uses certain slang words, go with it! That makes your neighborhood unique and allows you to communicate more effectively because everyone is using the same words.

I'm very much an enthusiast of slang expressions and slang words.  They are often so colorful and picturesque.  To me, slang is the cutting edge of language evolution as so often what begins as slang becomes part of the standard language. 

I also find it fascinating to see how slang influences pop culture and vice versa.  Think of "selfie" and "photo bomb" for instance.  These slang expressions are both relatively new and became so pervasive as there's a real need for them to describe what we so often witness in social media. 

I think slang is necessary in every language. Without slang, language would be bland and super boring. I think it is also a good way to learn a new language.

Yes, slang is absolutely necessary for each language as it is part of popular culture and folklore.

However I dislike slang abuse. I mean by this people who use slang regardless the context they are in.

One must not use slang when going to apply for a job, nor is certain situations where slang more than funny sounds embarrassing.

A place for everything and everything in its place ;)

Guest isabbbela

Slangs are a form of expression of each region. Inside a country there might be one language or more, but inside each language there has to be a way for the language speaker to express themselves a little different too. That also happens with different accents.

I think each group needs something different from the others as a form of expression and identification, and that is what slangs do!

To me, slang is just another dialect. I don't really have a problem with slang and it's actually quite interesting to see what new words are created by youngsters.  :smile:

Slang can be fun, given the right time and place. I just think its important to know when to use slang, and not speak slang 100% of the time. For instance, slang is fine in an informal gathering with friends, but not if your working with someone professionally.

I think of language as a painting, and slang as the finishing touches of said painting.  Those little things can give a lot life to a language, as well as making it more colorful ;)  I personally don't mind slang that much, I actually like it (in english only). 

I think slang makes the english language really colorful, but I'm not a big fan of the use of slang in spanish... mostly because the people who use it are making a really bad use of the spanish language. Here slang is misused really badly, to the point people write some words wrong on purpose (the use of slang and need to appear ''cool'' requires you to do this!.  So I think in some languages this is totally harmless, but in others isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I try to avoid using Slang because I consider it's unprofessional to use Slang in both speaking and writing. I do notice there are probably more than half of the population in the United States use Slang words during their conversations or when they write. I think most of them don't use proper English as their everyday conversations because that's how the American culture is nowadays. People are taught to use proper English only when they write. I don't mind people use Slang words, but as long as they don't over the plate is fine with me. 

Although some slang is whimsical, descriptive and sometime outright funny, I think it does not lend to the workplace and it may impede a person's progress within a company.  The other  problem is one some slang becomes too universal (like "ain't") I think children and others may just pick it up without question.  I think there is a place for slang, but particularly a time and a place.

Sometimes slang can get on my nerves and sometimes it doesn't. I guess it depends if I can actually understand what the person is saying. I know some people use heavy slang and it leaves my mind-boggled with what they said. I refrain from using slang though, I like using "proper" English because I'm growing up and the world we grow in requires proper use of a language.

I think slang just something that occurs in every language. It makes speaking more interesting, and it shortens words. I don't think I use that much slang, but that's probably just because I'm used to it - if I actually counted the amount of slang words I used in an average conversation, I expect I'd be quite surprised :)

Although some slang is whimsical, descriptive and sometime outright funny, I think it does not lend to the workplace and it may impede a person's progress within a company.  The other  problem is one some slang becomes too universal (like "ain't") I think children and others may just pick it up without question.  I think there is a place for slang, but particularly a time and a place.

I'm with you. There are a lot of workplaces don't allow people to use any Slang word. I can see that because it considers professional in any way.

Good question, Sophia...this is a hard question to answer very well, because realistically only you can know what you need to put in your paper and what your argument is. What you want to ask yourself is "WHY is slang not necessary?"....and then jot down your answers as a kind of list, and then expand on them afterward (brainstorming). Also, when you write your paper, make sure you do NOT write anything about something being "your opinion" or "I think" or "to me"....in other words, don't include any statements in your paper that state that your argument is only your opinion, because it is redundant (an argument paper is ALWAYS someone's opinion) and it weakens your argument when the reader is reminded that the argument your making is really just your opinion. It's like saying "my argument isn't really based on anything other than how I feel"....not good. So yeah, brainstorm your arguments as to WHY slang is unnecessary by using short bullet point ideas, and then when you're done with your list, elaborate on each one, and then combine them together using standard compositional techniques. As for humor, the gratuitous inclusion of a choice "slang" word or too that is funny or silly should be an easy way to get a laugh. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

My definition of slang is speaking carelessly. Honestly speaking, I do speak slang sometimes. When I talk, I speak slang, especially when I'm just with my friends or family. I speak faster when I speak slang.

However, when I write or type, it's 100% proper. I don't write slang ever. It doesn't look professional nor nice in my opinion.

My definition of slang is speaking carelessly. Honestly speaking, I do speak slang sometimes. When I talk, I speak slang, especially when I'm just with my friends or family. I speak faster when I speak slang.

However, when I write or type, it's 100% proper. I don't write slang ever. It doesn't look professional nor nice in my opinion.

I am pretty much the same way, but I do still type in slang at times when I'm just chatting with my friends online, since it would seem a bit odd, I think, if I were to type so properly when I speak to them in a totally different tone offline. I'm a lot more proper in forums with strangers, though, as I think it is only polite to both the members and the forum owners.

In a lot of situations slang is necessary to communicate. For example, in the video game world, or in certain job industries, there is slang that is so commonly used that it's almost a language in itself, and it's necessary to know it in order to communicate. A lot of words in the dictionary now were originally slang words. I like the idea that language is constantly evolving and changing and we need to keep up! Imagine if we were all still talking like Shakespeare.

I like slang when it's spoken, but not much when it's typed. The words are really kinda charming when you hear them spoken with the accent and all, but I can't stand it when people type out the words and they make no sense.

It depends on the situation. I think slang spices things up in informal settings. It is inappropriate in formal settings though. I also think formal and informal settings are found both in written and spoken form so slang in written form can be acceptable in some instances. For example, when blogging or writing to a friend, those can be considered informal settings so I think slang should be acceptable for those occasions.

In a lot of situations slang is necessary to communicate. For example, in the video game world, or in certain job industries, there is slang that is so commonly used that it's almost a language in itself, and it's necessary to know it in order to communicate. A lot of words in the dictionary now were originally slang words. I like the idea that language is constantly evolving and changing and we need to keep up! Imagine if we were all still talking like Shakespeare.

Very good point, emilyrose93. I think slang in video games exemplifies its purpose a lot more than in most mediums, because when communicating within video game chats, you usually have to get your point as efficiently as possible so shorthand really helps.