Linguaholic

Your Opinion Of Slang

Baburra

I think we all use slang when we are not in our professional situations, it's just a way to putting more emotion and expression to our speech. I think it's possible to use slang without being disrespectful.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I feel that some slang makes absolutely no sense and is ridiculous for example "peak" usually said when somethings gone wrong. But then coming from East London I have grown up surrounded by slang and do use it on a daily basis. I think it deends on whos company you are in and that there are obviously times when slang is appropriate.

I have to admit that I like everything to be proper, but I still find some slang words to be hilarious and entertaining, and most of the time, very creative. If only at the very least, I appreciate slang words and phrases for their creativity, albeit sometimes crass. There are some that don't appeal to me, though, for some reason. I'd love to know why this is, but I guess it just all boils down to taste. I've heard of and met people who absolutely hate it completely though, but they were mostly older folks, and I doubt there are still people in the current generation who are as conventional. Any of you out there who are still 100% proper? Would you like to be? Or do you prefer to use colloquial terms more?

It would be an absolute boring world for me to communicate without using slang. Agreeably, it's the older folks that disdain this modern culture, but it's appealing to me and am sure to others who are just coming up. Yup. I do not use some forms of slang though, because they are highly inappropriate.:)

It depends on the situation. I think slang spices things up in informal settings. It is inappropriate in formal settings though. I also think formal and informal settings are found both in written and spoken form so slang in written form can be acceptable in some instances. For example, when blogging or writing to a friend, those can be considered informal settings so I think slang should be acceptable for those occasions.

Yea...I agree with you. A locational situation. If I were in an office meeting with fellow co-workers, I could never use words like "yow", "zeen", "Kool"...highly inappropriate. Mannn....I could get fired for that. Santa Claus aint gonna higher me if I get fired.  :santa:

I think practically everyone uses slang. The older folks who are uptight about kids these days and their new forms of slang are already using highly different language compared to their own grandparents, great grandparents, etc. Slang is one of the toughest things to catch onto when learning a new language but it's important for more casual and warmer dialogue.

I will only avoid using slang in a formal setting. Slang is a natural part of communication, and even a useful part of your identity really. It can distinguish you based on what slang you use, rather than just whether you use it or not.

Slang is a part of daily communication, part of your identity (it can show your culture, family background, your type of friends). For me, it is an easier, relaxing way to communicate with people you close with. Of course, slang won't be appropriate for formal situations. It's a matter of when to use it.

I do not like speaking or writing slang language as I know it can get you used to it.  I like to constantly train myself to be formal and I will only use slang language when I think it's necessary. 

Maybe if I'm just talking to my friends, I may be ok with slang.  But I would not want it to be a normal thing for me.  I easily adapt to different languages and I don't want slang to be my norm as I deal with a lot of executives at work and I would not want to be considered as unprofessional in my language.