Linguaholic

Too many subforums?

Hey there :)

I really like Linguaholic, but I fear that maybe there are a few too many subforums! I understand why they all exist, but I'm tempted to say that they simply are not all necessary.

[list type=decimal]

[*]General discussion

[*]Study apps

[*]Exams

[*]Grammar

[*]Links

[*]Idioms

[*]Translations

[*]Vocabulary

[*]Literature

[*]Language Teaching

[*]Lounge

That's 11 subforums per language! Incredible. I propose that study apps be moved to general discussion, exams to teaching, that translations/literature/vocabulary/idioms be combined, and links could perhaps be a subforum of general discussion?

It's almost too much choice when deciding where to put a topic, as occasionally something can fit into quite a few of these.

Thanks again for all the work you do here :)

Instead of combining though, I'm thinking we can just not show the subforums on the front page. That way the forum will look more tidy and I won't have to scroll down forever before I get to the area I want to go.

So for example, we would have a link that says "Study English" and when someone clicks that, they will be presented with the subforums.

Just a suggestion though. I like the subforums and think it's fun to have lots of categories.

I would have to agree.

I think that there are too many subforums for each language too. It would be nicer if we would combine those subforums into a couple subforums for each language. :)

hi all

I agree that there are many subforums on linguaholic.com

However, the forums should all be collapsible. on every header of the study X forums, you should see (on the right side) a small arrow pointing downwards. If you click on this one, the forum should be collapsible..you can do that with all the forums you don't use..and then just a few forums will remain and you have a much quicker access to all the forums that are important to you. please try that. if that does not work, we will find another way  :grin:

I am in favor of streamlining the forum by reducing the number of sub-forums. Yes, it's possible to reduce the clutter by collapsing the sub-forums but that's not really making any change - it's more like sweeping the dust under the carpet.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in favor of streamlining the forum by reducing the number of sub-forums. Yes, it's possible to reduce the clutter by collapsing the sub-forums but that's not really making any change - it's more like sweeping the dust under the carpet.

I can respect your opinion on this, however I do think that collapsing the sub forums help a lot. Reducing the number of sub forums has just been suggested by very few people, therefore I am not considering the size of the (sub) forum being a problem right now. Still, i might eliminate the teaching sub forums of every language, as it is rarely used and does not make that much sense (I was never really fond of this section however some people requested it in the past).