Linguaholic

Why did you choose Hindi?

pcgamer

There are so many members in this forums and everyone is learning two or more languages. Heck some people know more than 5 languages! It's crazy!

I have noticed that there are some members who have learned or learning Hindi. I was curious as to why you have chosen to learn this language?

I decided to learn Hindi because I have always had a huge interest in India and Indian culture. Even from a very young age  I always preferred Indian movies, music, food, clothes, and I always been very interested in Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism. Even my room is decorated in Indian style!  I really don't know what it was that made me start to learn I just picked up a book on Hindi one day at the bookstore and started learning.

I decided to learn Hindi because I have always had a huge interest in India and Indian culture. Even from a very young age  I always preferred Indian movies, music, food, clothes, and I always been very interested in Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism. Even my room is decorated in Indian style!  I really don't know what it was that made me start to learn I just picked up a book on Hindi one day at the bookstore and started learning.

So, i was instinctive, wasn't it? I started learning because I had to as it's my native language.

• 7 months later...

I started learning Hindi a few years ago because of my interest in the Indian culture. It's not a very popular language in the States. French and Spanish are much more spoken and taught. So, it was a bit hard to study. And getting someone to help me out even harder. I once asked some Indian co-workers and they said they didn't know how to read Hindi. But anyway, my love for Bollywood movies pushed me. I used to buy my movies at an Indo-Pak grocery store. And the owner told me that I should learn it so that I wouldn't miss out on so much of the movie by constantly looking at the subtitles.

• 3 weeks later...

I started learning Hindi a few years ago because of my interest in the Indian culture. It's not a very popular language in the States. French and Spanish are much more spoken and taught. So, it was a bit hard to study. And getting someone to help me out even harder. I once asked some Indian co-workers and they said they didn't know how to read Hindi. But anyway, my love for Bollywood movies pushed me. I used to buy my movies at an Indo-Pak grocery store. And the owner told me that I should learn it so that I wouldn't miss out on so much of the movie by constantly looking at the subtitles.

I'm glad you started to learn Hindi. It really is a such an awarding language to learn.  :millionaire:

• 1 month later...

I learned Hindi because I lived in a country with a very large ethnic Indian population. Although many of the Indians are of Southern origin and speak languages like Tamil and Malayalam, Hindi music and films were easy to come by and were incredibly popular with just about everybody. I learned Hindi a lot faster than I learned Tamil simply because spoken and written Hindi are much closer to each other than spoken and written Tamil. Spoken Tamil is like French - there is a lot of slurring and ellision of sounds, making it difficult to identify words that I'd learned from a dictionary. Hindi came to me a lot more easily.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I lived in India as a kid but not long enough to fully pick up Hindi. Both my parents speak it so I just wanted to be able to speak it as well. I could already understand Hindi pretty easily, and reading was difficult but I still had a general idea of the script. I was already partway there, so I just wanted to go all the way and be able to read/write/speak it perfectly. :)

• 4 months later...

Learning Hindi came naturally to me. My home country Nepal shares border with India and there is an influx of Indian TV channels and Bollywood movies. I learned Hindi language from Bollywood movies. When I was in High School,I even had Hindi language as one of my subjects (because I studied in India). I can understand Hindi well, read Hindi well, and have basic writing and speaking skills. It was easy for me to learn Hindi because it is very similar to my native tongue.  

• 10 months later...

Well, I became interested in Hindi because of the speeches of a Far Cry 4 character named Kalinag. I enjoyed the sound of the language so much that I wanted to know what language was and learn it. So I did some researches in Internet, and when I found that that language was Hindi, I started learning it immediately.

13 hours ago, Nikhtar said:

Well, I became interested in Hindi because of the speeches of a Far Cry 4 character named Kalinag. I enjoyed the sound of the language so much that I wanted to know what language was and learn it. So I did some researches in Internet, and when I found that that language was Hindi, I started learning it immediately.

That's an inspiring story! well done.