Linguaholic

Hiragana vs Katakana. Which one is more difficult for you?

You will use Hiragana more often in the long run so Hiragana for me is more important than Katakana. However, you can't use Hiraganas when writing a foreign word in Japanese so you really need to study Katakana as well.

I must agree with Miya, it took me a couple of days to find the difference between shi and tsu in Katakana. Hahaha. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I barely have a grasp on Hiragana and I'm not looking forward to diving into Katakana, however, I know at the end of the day it's just spending the time to practice them. Flashcards work wonders!

I've always found that personally flashcards only work with me for vocabulary. The only way I can get to grips with alphabets is by using them and transliterating them bit by bit. Of course if you've memorized them all then it can help but it's just not enough for fluency with me.

• 1 month later...

I'd have to say Katakana is the harder of the two, seeing as a lot of the characters look alike, with the differences between some of them sometimes being the angle of the slope of a line. Although I've found more occasions to practice Katakana so I guess it kinda stuck faster than Hiragana.

• 1 month later...

Katakana for a few reaons. Firstly I learned hiragana first so naturally I'm more at home with it compared to katakana. Also as someone else said, katakana has characters that look similar. I should really practice them more since I still occasionally have to think about a certain character

• 2 months later...

The katakana felt like it was more complex, but even if it was a bit more complex I felt like it was quite easy to remember it. A lot of the katakana are more simple than the hiragana, but then there are quite a few katakana that are so simlar to other ones that it sometimes takes quite a while before I can tell which one is written.

Then again, I'm personally not even trying to learn it English to Japanese/writing/speaking, and only on the passive understanding. In other words, it doesn't become very confusing for me that they have the same sound and all.

• 4 weeks later...

I find hiragana hard because I can't do curves well, and hiragana have a lot of curving storkes. Haha. On the other hard, I find katakana hard because I confuse some of the characters with some hiragana characters. Plus, I still can't tell the difference between, 'tsu' and 'shi' in katakana.