Linguaholic

Dubbed or Subbed?

I saw where someone said they learn some Japanese from anime and that they disliked the dubbed versions of the shows. They preferred the subtitled versions with the original Japanese left in. I find this to be really true and helpful in learning any language, to be honest. I try to avoid English dubbed movies or shows at all costs because things get lost in the translation and it really is just not the same. I also learn so much about emoting and enunciating in the language when I can hear it being said, while reading the translation at the same time.

Are you the same? Do you like to watch things that are subtitled or do you want something that is dubbed over?

It really depends on the quality of the dub. Typically the Japanese voice actors are better. On occassion though, I prefer the American voice actors. For example, I can only watch the dubbed version of Rurouni Kenshin because I cannot stand Kenshin's voice in Japanese.

I agree, some people don't sound good with any characters. I watched a recent released Dragonball movie a little while ago, and I must admit. Goku did not sound like his normal self. I like subbed versions, because it is sort of like a reading exercise for myself. It is pretty much the only reading I get throughout a period of time.

I usually rewatch animes so I always get a chance to watch subbed and dubbed. When I first started an Azumanga daioh marathon, I had the choice between dubbed or subbed. My friend said that Osaka has a stereotypical accent, and if you can't differentiate because I don't know the language, then I should watch it dubbed first, so I did. In the dubbed version, Osaka's stereotypical accent was portray as Southern English. When I watched the first episode subbed, I really couldn't tell the difference between Osaka and the others. Now, after learning more Japanese, I revisited Azumanga subbed and I feel proud that I can tell the difference.

Also, even people who "hate" dubbed animes should still try to rewatch animes dubbed because there's a lot of funny differences sometimes. For example, in Azumanga, the English teacher has to teach Spanish instead in the dubbed version (otherwise that wouldn't really make sense.) Verbal and visual things had to be changed. It's interesting to see what they have to work with!

I like subtitles if I am trying to learn the language because it helps me pick up on new words and it gives those new words some context. The only time I like watching dubbed shows is if I am watching movies for entertainment and my eyes are strained. Most of the time the dubbed voices are annoying and you lose so much from the original performance. Those inflections aren't there.

OP, I completely agree. I get so excited when I'm watching something in Japanese, and I'm able to understand small bits and pieces of what they're saying. The other day I was watching Spirited Away in the original Japanese, and I was amazed by how many small snippets of conversation I was able to understand. It really motivated me to keep learning! :D

Oh, yes, I meant Chihiro. It really is the most visually-stunning animated film I've ever seen. I watch it maybe once every few months and I never get sick of it. I tried watching the dubbed version once though and I couldn't enjoy it - it was so weird hearing all the characters with American accents!

I saw where someone said they learn some Japanese from anime and that they disliked the dubbed versions of the shows. They preferred the subtitled versions with the original Japanese left in. I find this to be really true and helpful in learning any language, to be honest. I try to avoid English dubbed movies or shows at all costs because things get lost in the translation and it really is just not the same. I also learn so much about emoting and enunciating in the language when I can hear it being said, while reading the translation at the same time.

Are you the same? Do you like to watch things that are subtitled or do you want something that is dubbed over?

That person you're referring to in this post would be me  :tongue:  As I said on that thread of mine... there is no way the dubbed version will ever beat the subbed version.  The subbed version is superior in so many ways, one of them being the fact you can actually sound what the people sounds like... and most of the time the sound of dubbed movies really sucks!

I watched The Insidious 2 some weeks ago, and the movie was dubbed... my whole experience was ruined :/  I didn't get as scared as I normally would with a movie spoken in the native language (original sound as well, movie dubbing ruins the sound too) , gosh I'm so happy they never dubbed the millenium trilogy!!

I have never come across an anime where I preferred the Dub to the Sub. It has gotten to the point where I just don't bother with dubs anymore. To be fair I also don't watch much anime anymore, but I can't see myself ever returning to those awful over the top English voice overs.

Also, with subtitles and the original japanese voices you can learn japanese passively, and get a lot of listening practice. If you are trying to learn the language then I don't think it makes much sense NOT to use subtitles.

As other people have said in this thread, before long you start to understand little packets of conversation that pop up all the time (and if they pop up all the time in anime, they probably pop up all th etime in real life).

Subbed is usually much better. I prefer hearing the Japanese voice actors than the English ones. The dubbed ones are usually timed incorrectly, the lip movement and voice will never match. At least I can feel the emotion when the I hear the original. Plus the subbers are able to interpret the meaning much better. It's impossible for two languages to have the same translation that can be said in the same amount of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to watch things in their original language simply because the dubs are worse. The original director of the series put effort into it and selected actors he wanted for the role, based on his own preferences and ideas which are usually not public. The dubs try to recreate them by simply matching how the characters approximately sound, often to the detriment of their unique quirks or personality traits.

Subtitles on the other hand don't ruin the experience, and they allow you to recognise most of the original "feeling" of the script, while still being able to understand it. Jokes and puns are also explained instead of being cut out or replaced with translated versions.

It's especially true for anime, when copulas and honorary suffixes typically get abridged in the translation, or replaced with completely different Western equivalents that are roughly similar (Japanese wordsmithing and a character speaking in rhymes substituted by urban rap culture, etc.). Different characters also tend to have different traits, and use slang words/add to sentences in a way that's not reflected in the translation.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely subbed. In both cases their are some parts of the dialogue that are lost or contorted due to translation difficulties from Japanese to English, but with the subbed versions those parts are smaller and the pieces of the dialogue that go missing are a lot less. I've also started to notice the differences in the way verbs are pronounced in their different forms, which might come to help me in my learning process.

• 3 weeks later...

Geez pink is beautiful  :love:

Even if I were not trying to learn the language, dubbed is just not the way to go. Sometimes part of the amazingness of the story is all these foreign words that sound great in the other language. But in your own it's kind of loses its magic haha. That and almost always in dubbed versions the voice acting isn't nearly as good and usually comical. Dubbed can work, but it's pretty rare. I say subs all the way.

Definitely subbed. That way I can listen to actual pronunciation and discover slang! Sometimes though subtitles are not accurate, well anyway there are Japanese words without direct English translation.

• 1 month later...

Subbed for me. Most of the time, english voice actors sucks so I would rather prefer hearing the japanese voice actors do their thing while im reading the sub. Im also able to pick up some japanese words while listening through the sub.

As someone else had stated, I think it truly does depend on the quality of the dub. I remember when I got into the "Death Note" series, I had an option of either the dubbed version or the subbed version. Initially I thought to just go with the subbed version so I could experience the show in its purest form, so to speak. After watching the subbed version though, I found myself spending more time reading than I was watching! So ultimately I chose to go with the dubbed version. The dubs happened to be in great quality too so that was a major plus! I think that more shows, movies, and TV shows should work on getting quality dubs done so that the viewer can thoroughly enjoy what they are watching.

I absolutely watch everything subbed! It helps with language learning, and since I understand somewhat (but not quite enough that I can watch most shows unsubbed), I can get subtleties that can't easily be translated. That, and I think it is really important to try and experience a story as the author intended as often as you can. A lot of dubs edit or remove things from anime entirely, although it's gotten a bit better in recent years.

There are a few instances here and there where I can't stand a Japanese voice actor and so would prefer the dub... the only one I can think of at the moment is Dragonball, most of the voices in Japanese make my head explode. Maybe this is only because I grew up watching the dub on TV, though.

Definitely subbed for newer animes I've gotten into. But sometime it depends. A lot of times I feel the Japanese voice actors have a lot more emotion put into their lines than English actors. For example, I tried watching an anime called When They Cry in English first and hated the acting. The Japanese dub was ten times better. Besides, I can pick up on how to pronounce some words while watching in Japanese than English.

However, as other have said, I prefer to watch some in English. It just depends on if I saw it in English first or not. Dragon Ball Z is a great example of this.