Linguaholic

What is one word that to this day you cannot say properly?

Aheyz

For some reason, I always trip over the word "particularly." I think it's the double Ls or something. It could be that some people say it "particular-ly" and others say "particu-lair-ly" the extra emphasis throws me off so much.

Guest isabbbela

I do that too! And actually when I was living in the US many people said it that way as well, so I guess it's not that big of a problem!

There are a few words I always correct myself after saying them.... I only notice I say them wrong after I actually say them!

Now a word I say right, but write wrong ALWAYS is "knowledge". See.. even right now I wrote it wrong and needed the spell-checker...  :shy:

Guest akasha24

I can't pronounce the name of this site  :laugh: I am sure there are many words I still can't say properly the first time. I think it just takes practice. Once you say the words you find difficult a hundred times, they won't seem difficult anymore.

Hedgehog.  I cant say hedge and I cant say hog, but not both one after the other, I have to pause a little to say it completely. The main reason of this is that we don't deal with that kind of phonemes in Spanish, so my tongue is not trained, its like when an English speaker tries to pronounce anything with ñ.  :laugh:

"Coordinates" just messes me up! When I try to say it casually it just sounds bad and when I try to hard I justp pronounce half of the word. Honorable mentions to "tutor" and "turmoil".

Though is the hard-timer for me. I always have issues when reading and I come across it. I say something like t-h-ough. Especially with the g sound it becomes really fun to listen to. I got no clue how to improve it, I know how to say it but it's just that every time I see it, the first thing that comes to my mind isn't the correct version of it.

I have a hard time saying "theater" and "truth". I think it's because I rarely hear these words spoken in my native accent, and emulating the usual English speaking accent to say it just feels too unnatural. I'm still finding the sweet spot in between the two to this day.

For some reason, I always trip over the word "particularly." I think it's the double Ls or something. It could be that some people say it "particular-ly" and others say "particu-lair-ly" the extra emphasis throws me off so much.

This word gives me trouble as well! Even when I completely slow down my pronunciation of it, I still manage to fumble through saying it. I think it's because I always forget to pronounce the 2nd L and always get tripped up over it

• 4 years later...