Linguaholic

What's your favorite learning Method for Spanish?

For everyone who is currently learning Spanish or has learned Spanish in the past, what is your favorite learning method? Do you like to sit in a class and have someone teach it to you? Or would you prefer to  use computer software or read a book? Those are just some examples. Let me know if you have any others you prefer.Which do you believe is better for beginners?

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

If you really want to learn the language, you need to speak and read in it often. I would suggest finding a course that is based in conversation. Most of my college Spanish courses focused around a book discussion in class. I improved tenfold thanks to these classes.

I like learning it in a classroom and with flashcards, but speaking it is what helps me the most.  My favorite scenario was when I spent a lot of time around Spanish speaking children, ages 2-5.  It was very nice talking to (little) people that were at the same level of Spanish proficiency and weren't judgemental.  Okay, there was this one little girl that would give me grief.  I didn't care much for Diane.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking it face-to-face with someone else who was raised with spanish as there mother tongue. They can give you feed back on what you did wrong such as pronouncing words right, or proper grammar. A first hand experience is always the best at learning something.

My favorite method is watching telenovelas from Latin America with either the caption or subtitle feature on. It's entertainment mixed with education. You can't beat that.  ;D  But I have to say it's a close tie to listening to Latin American music while reading the lyrics.

I'm really enjoying Pimsleur! SWIM knows of a single torrent containing all the Pimselur language cds for free. I think it's a wonderful addition to a learning program. It's not the best on teaching you vocabulary, but it teaches you wonderful pronunciation! I'm hoping that using Pimsleur, DuoLingo and Anki together will help me master the language.

• 3 weeks later...

For me I would most definitely rather sit in a classroom with others. That way I get to share what I have learnt and gain more knowledge from my classmates. This also makes it possible to throw out questions to  the teacher and get immediate response.

• 2 years later...

I like to translate things on my own and just have someone correct it.  I find it helps me remember because I'm using my own brain to do it and just finding out if I'm correct.  I'm usually right, sometimes I make minor mistakes (or major ones!), but this method helps me.  I especially like to translate songs.  My whole life is music: chores, cooking, showering.  So it's what I'm most exposed to.