Linguaholic

What makes learning a new language fun?

mareebaybay

Some people considering learning a new language a nuisance, because they don't understand the purpose in doing such a thing. Then there are those who take joy in learning a new language. What makes learning a new language fun for yourself?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

It's kind of like unlocking doors in your brain. When you are learning a language you are improving your communication with many people who speak it. Fun is an interesting word to use, it's more about the practical pursuit of knowledge that is rewarding.

I think what makes language learning fun  -- and certainly very rewarding and gratifying -- is knowing that as you become more and more proficient you are entering an entirely new cultural and social experience.  You'll be able to take part in conversations you previously couldn't understand.  You'll be able to read literature you had to settle for reading in translation or perhaps not at all.  Plus there are the arts to enjoy -- music, theater, movies, etc. 

Having such new experiences and opportunities is exciting. :)

I think learning anything new is exciting.  For me personally, learning a new language will be great for some trips I have planned and I know it will help with my business.  It makes clients feel more comfortable if you are proficient in there language as well.  I am also learning with a friend and that makes it all the more enjoyable.

I found the fun in being able to communicate with other people and share experiences, anecdotes, folklore and even cultural facts that sounds more appealing when all of these come from a fellow friend.

Equally, I found exciting being able to express myself, my thoughts, feelings and even my dreams in a language other than my own, because many times people around you may not listen to you, but you can find that those people that we meet online are often more supportive than your real-life friends.

With your sole mother tongue perhaps your online friends could understand you using a translation service or if they know your language, but when you know theirs, if funny even get wrong with a word's meaning, grammar or spelling.

I don't know if there's a general rule for making language learning fun. I know that we all have various things that motivate us to learn a new language; and for me, when i was learning Spanish in high school, it was the quizzes that made learning language fun. I looked forward to one quiz each week, and i was always getting no less than 90%. There are definitely some new programs that make language learning fun. Try babble. Go to the website and download the software.

If you're the kind of person that enjoys learning in general, then you'll enjoy learning a new language. There have been numerous studies suggesting that the brain grows whenever you learn, and it makes sense. Here's one pertaining to learning a new language.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121008082953.htm

I guess the types of resources. I've never found a language appealing if it lacks good resources to learn from. It's also nice when you know native speakers of the same language, it means you can converse with them and they can help you out should you need it.

For me, it's incredibly rewarding when I reach a milestone/gain a new level of understanding (I'm teaching myself Japanese). The other day I was watching Spirited Away - a Japanese movie - and I was amazed by how many small snippets of dialogue I was able to understand throughout the movie. It really gave me the motivation I needed to keep going with my studies.

Guest isabbbela

I think it goes from the actual discovery of new words, ways to say them, the accents, forming sentences, to also trying to say them and making mistakes (I think that is fun!).

In my opinion, I think that if you want to learn a new language, you should set up plan first. When you have a plan, you should try your best to follow the plan.

For example:

Day 1: Watching movie

Day 2: self study

Day 3: Listening to music

Day 4: Reading news

Day 5: Taking language class

Day 6: Watching gameshows or reality programs

Day 7: Take a day off

I think this is make you wont get bored when you learn new language. Good luck!

Just the challenge of learning a new language can keep me satisfied for a long time. As you progress you start immersing yourself and after a few months your new language is a part of you! Having someone to practice is definately a big bonus!

I think it's a valuable and beneficial way to understand a different culture as well. If you want to understand German history or certain aspects of German life today, then learning the language can help unlock some of those doors. I've had friends who have done "Study Abroad" programs for school and when they came back, they told me that they were not really able to immerse themselves into the culture until they had some understanding of the language. Which of course, made their experience all that much more rewarding and entertaining.