Linguaholic

What is so difficult about Arabic ? It is easy !

calendon

I don't know what people find so difficult about Arabic and why they are complaining, they even voted it  the hardest on thetoptens.com, but after having a quick analysis of the grammar and structure, it is quite easy, except for the writing system that needs a bit of practice. So far, I haven't found anything that is really difficult about Arabic. I found Japanese harder because of kanji, around 2000 of them, and the much longer sentence structure, and the many different words of counting depending on what you are counting. Chinese is even harder still because of the tones and the 8000 symbols that need to be memorized.

14 hours ago, calendon said:

I don't know what people find so difficult about Arabic and why they are complaining, they even voted it  the hardest on thetoptens.com, but after having a quick analysis of the grammar and structure, it is quite easy, except for the writing system that needs a bit of practice. So far, I haven't found anything that is really difficult about Arabic. I found Japanese harder because of kanji, around 2000 of them, and the much longer sentence structure, and the many different words of counting depending on what you are counting. Chinese is even harder still because of the tones and the 8000 symbols that need to be memorized.

First of all, Welcome Calendon! Hope you are having a good time here on linguaholic.com!

Let's get straight to the subject matter:=)

Well, I guess it really depends on what your mother tongue is. For someone whose mother tongue is Chinese, it is much easier to study Japanese because they already have a very good grasp of all the Kanji in the Japanese language. For someone whos mother tongue is German, it is easier to study English becuase both are Germanic languages....and so on and so forth. I personally do speak Chinese but I would say that Japanese is more difficult on the whole because Japanese Grammar is very complex whereas Chinese Grammar is super easy. The tones in Chinese Mandarin are definitely very demanding, but then again, when compared to Cantonese, it is not that bad at all, as Cantonese has 6-9 different tones. There are so many levels to this that it is really hard to say if a language is actually harder than another...it just really depends on what you are used to (speak) and what aspects of language you are good at. Some people might do very well in grammar of a specific language but they might be struggling very hard with mastering tonal languages...I had a german friend here in Beijing, he was great at Grammar of multiple languages, however, he was unable to learn Chinese for the simple reason that he could just not figure out how to pronounce the syllables properly (due to the fact that Chinese is a tonal language).