Linguaholic

Have you used any free online writing tools to improve your writing in English?

jodiann12

I was doing some browsing, and I found out about Pro Writing Aid. This is a free online writing editor and personal writing coach, which helps you to eliminate cliches and redundancies, eliminate vague, abstract, and complex words from your text, improve overall readability of your writing, etc. Have you ever used this or any other writing tool to improve your written English?

Guest isabbbela

The only websites I will use are WordReference, Google Translator and a couple conjugation websites to help me out with that. The Urban Dictionary is also very useful for slangs/urban or uncommon meanings.

I know of software created by http://www.gingersoftware.com/solutions/english_writing.html which is specifically created for correction of mistakes made while writing but I believe it can be useful tool for everyone [not just those learning English] because we all make mistakes when writing.

It's worth checking out.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Mozilla Firefox to surf the web and it has a built-in spell checker. It flags mistakenly written words in red, and it does really help to check as you type. Still takes patience to see why any word suddenly goes red though. Does that count as an online tool?

There are also a number of browser add-ons (plugins) with spell check and dictionaries, but I haven't ever used them so cannot comment on these.

• 3 months later...

If you want to help improve your writing and grammar, englishgrammar101.com is a good (free) resource. It covers everything from teh basics to more complicated concepts and confusing word pairs.  I"m a native speaker and found the comma section quite useful. Another good resource is Grammar Girl offers good articles with useful tips to mastering tricky Grammar topics. 

• 4 months later...

Other than online, I don't do much writing so I haven't used any online writing tool as aid. I usually just look back at what I have done whenever possible and use the grammar rules I remember to do my corrections.