Linguaholic

Improving my Spanish

SteveB

Hello all.

I used to speak reasonably good Spanish in my teens, but that was 50 years ago and I have lost much of it. I'm taking a Rosetta Stone course to brush up, and a lot is coming back to me. I need to improve my conversational Spanish, and I thought this would be a good place to do that.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

18 hours ago, SteveB said:

Hello all.

I used to speak reasonably good Spanish in my teens, but that was 50 years ago and I have lost much of it. I'm taking a Rosetta Stone course to brush up, and a lot is coming back to me. I need to improve my conversational Spanish, and I thought this would be a good place to do that.

Hey SteveB, warm welcome to Linguaholic!

How do you like the Rosetta Stone software, so far? I am really curious about that. I would like to pick up some Spanish too, but I am probably sticking to learning apps on my iphone rather than spending money for Rosetta Stone.

Best,

L

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 2:09 PM, SteveB said:

Hello all.

Hi, Steve!

I think we could learn from each other, Spanish and English; You need to learn the first one and I the second one. B)

Send me a message, if you wish.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:31 AM, linguaholic said:

Hey SteveB, warm welcome to Linguaholic!

How do you like the Rosetta Stone software, so far? I am really curious about that. I would like to pick up some Spanish too, but I am probably sticking to learning apps on my iphone rather than spending money for Rosetta Stone.

Best,

L

I like RS a lot. I like the immersion style of teaching. There is no spoken or written English in the lessons. Immersion and conversation are the only ways to become fluent in a language, IMO. I'm also doing Duolingo, but there is a lot of translation between English and Spanish. It makes you do the translation in your head instead of teaching you to think Spanish. The only complaint I have about RS is that their speech recognition software could be a lot better. Sometimes if I completely mangle a sentence, it gives me a perfect score. RS is only $120 per year, and I don't plan to use it for over that. There is also an iPhone app that is free. It will cause a little eye strain.