Linguaholic

Have anyone tried the Ginger App on their Android device?

jodiann12

The Ginger App allows you to spell check on your Android device, and you can also get an extension for your Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers. I recently found out about this app while surfing the web. Has anyone here used this app or use it as an extension for their Chrome browser, for instance?

• 2 weeks later...

At first I thought you were referring to the Talking Ginger app which featured a very cute pussy cat! And I thought, how could this app help in learning English? Lol.

tumblr_mdckl3JhNQ1r97z4bo1_500.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.outfit7.talkinggingerfree

Anyways, you say it's a spell check app? Hmm, maybe I should check it out. However, I don't know how it will be of additional help since when I'm using Chrome on my Note 2, it already marks in red the words that are misspelled.

• 3 months later...

I've tried the Ginger app (Chrome extension). At first, I found it useful but only for catching simple spelling and grammar mistakes. To be frank, I haven't find any spell or grammar checker apps that I really like, although at the moment I'm using GrammarBase.

I'm using Ginger as an add-on on Chrome and Firefox and I love it!

Especially for spell and grammar checks when writing e-mails and forum posts.

When I'm writing articles, I do use different spell and grammar checkers, but Ginger is definitely in my top 3 for casual checkers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not heard of it, but I was just told about something called "Note Tab Light" that I just downloaded. It is very much like Notepad except that you can select all. I'm not sure if Notepad does that but I know that Word does not.

But now when I type in certain programs, I notice that it corrects my spelling as I type. I didn't even know it did that. I only downloaded it to use as a sort of worksheet to type messages on and then repaste them into a particular email program. The idea was to save them in ".text" form so that when you paste them, the formatting does not get messed up and cause anguish.

It actually looks like there is more to it then meets the eye, and I may slowly learn more about it as I have the time!

I actually use this app currently on my Galaxy SIII.  Previously I have used swiftkey 3.  I think in the beginning the Ginger app was nice to use, but after about 4 days I noticed that my typing has gotten slower and because I've made so many spelling mistakes it now suggests I correct words with words that contain spelling errors.  I reinstalled swiftkey and I now use that again.

Also if anyone has used the Chrome Extension (Ginger) it costs a monthly fee for advanced features like: Unlimited Grammar Checker, Sentence Rephraser, and Text Reader.  With the purchase, it also has a function that uses your mistakes as a benchmark to help you improve upon your language skills.  Has anyone purchased the monthly subscription to this extension and is it accurate enough to even consider it?

• 3 months later...

I've tried the Ginger app and it's great. I like it, but i can't see myself learning from it on a daily basis, there is so much better apps to try, I can't remember any names but i know there's better apps

• 4 weeks later...

I like both the Ginger app for Android and NoteTab Lite.  I never really considered how both could be helpful for English learners, but I'll certain keep that in my mind for my TESOL classes and future teaching.