Linguaholic

What Makes You Decide You Want to Learn a Language?

writeletters

I'm curious. I'm wondering what it is exactly that makes us decide 'hey, that's a language I want to learn!'.

Maybe it's the way it's spoken. Maybe it's a place you'd one day like to visit. Maybe someone in your family speaks it.

Whatever it is, I want to know how you choose a language to learn.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Please note that this kind of question has already been discussed in this thread here:

http://linguaholic.com/general-discussion/why-do-you-want-to-learn-another-language/

Please post your thoughts in there! thank you

(I am going to close this thread soon)

If you tend to go there often it is handy to be able to speak so for example if you got on vacation to Germany often then you should probably learn at least the basics from that language.

well, I think that the pushing power the helps me to decide which language I want to learn is simply my passion for languages.

I have to communicate with other people, and I prefer to use their language as a sign of respect. Also, I have encountered many people who needed help and the only way to communicate with them was using their language. You can not imagine the smile on their face when they knew that I speak their language.

This is why I want to learn as much languages as I can, and now I am aiming to learn Spanish and Italian.

• 1 month later...

I think my thirst for knowledge and my need to learn a new language, is what makes me interested in learning a new language. Learning a new language helps you in a number of different ways. It helps you mostly in a mental beneficial way.

I am a military brat ( an adult who grew up on Air Force bases). 

Because of my family's travels, I became interested in learning other languages.

In order to communicate with the natives and also enjoy the usual (semi-usual) daily activities, I had to learn another language.

I think what makes you decide to learn a language would be if you find that language particularly interesting, even if you don't plan to go to that country. But if you plan on going to that country, then of course choosing to learn it makes sense. You have to, because you're going to need the knowledge once you arrive in that particular country.

I took Spanish because we had to choose in Middle school between Spanish, French and German and it was the only one that appealed to me at the time. It brought out a passion for learning languages that I didn't know existed before, though, and I've wanted to learn as many languages as possible ever since. I do prioritize them for various reasons. Latin, Italian and Japanese for both practical and more aesthetic reasons. Chinese and French because they're wide-spread and likely to be of use for places I'd like to travel.

Sometimes (like in my case) you don't decide to learn a language, but are the circumstances the ones that lead you or even force you to do so.  In my case I must learn Dutch soon, so I can move to the Netherlands with my boyfriend.  So we can start a family and live happily ever after... ;)  Well, I was told it was actually a requisite for me to learn Dutch, since I'm not an EU passport holder.  So I guess love lead me to this :)

In past tho, I've learnt languages (like for example english) to either have fun or to expand my horizons.  I actually learnt english on my own almost by mistake.  It was more like a game for me back then, but this game really paid off for me :) I can I assure you I'd never be where I am if it wasn't because I can speak english quite fluently.

Learning a new language is more than being able to speak it. Learning a language means learning a new culture as well. I feel that a new language helps us as people become more tolerant and understanding of others. It helps us see the differences and similarities in our peoples. It helps us connect with each other better.

I chose the languages that I've been learning because I felt attracted to their culture. Also because I feel they will give me bigger job opportunities.