Linguaholic

Do you ever feel this way?

Guest akasha24

Every time I encounter a French person, I use my french language and most of the time they laugh at me since I leaned and speak the high formal language. But being exposed to such situation will provide you with live feedback to how to use the language.

They simply tell you, "do not say X, say Y", and this improves your understanding of the language and the culture.

Yeah!  I think everyone over here has gone tru this at least once in their lives, I did when I was just starting to learn english.  I think this is super common, specially if you're talking with a native speaker.  I'll surely go tru this once I move to the Netherlands; I can't speak english forever! 

So I'm sure there will be a lot awkward moments for me in the future :P  I'm not nervious about that at all!  I think awkward moments are a great motivation to improve the language :)  So not everything is bad!

I felt this way before I came to U.S but I knew I had to practice so my speaking would be better. So even though people would make fun of my accent,It didn't stop me. My husband helped me a lot. When I moved to U.S though I had different take on this whole accent thing. A lot of people actually told me 'I love your accent' so suddenly instead of being bothered with it,I just wore it loud and proud. Whenever a friend online wanted to talk to me,I'd tell them 'I have a thick accent just so you know' and they would be like 'Oh no worry,we don't care' because sometimes, when I talk too fast, people seem to have a hard time to understand me. When I get mad at my husband ,I started blur out some Chinese in the middle of throwing my English words out there  :grin:

I used to feel shy around people when I came to the United States, which was about 15 years ago. Now, I don't feel this way because I was able to communicate with people who speak the same language as I do. I do have an tiny accent when I speak English, but it doesn't stop me from learning English.

I guess we all feel a bit self conscious when we think we are not as proficient as others in just about anything.  I would never make fun of a person's "accent" since I respect anyone trying to learn a second (or third...) language.

Know that you feelings are normal, but don't let that stop you from getting out there. Practicing and interacting is what will make you more proficient and fluent. 

I never feel shy if someone speaks a particular language better than me. What I will do is find out from them how they learnt the language or get from them the materials they used that made them proficient. You may never know everything but you can find out to know.

I do feel awkward and shy when this happens, although I do realize I really shouldn't. It's just difficult to control it sometimes when the rest of the people around me are able to communicate a lot more effortlessly. I try not to let it affect me too much though, and instead I just try to make it a motivation to challenge myself to get acquainted with the new language much faster.

Guest isabbbela

I don't. I'm very confident about my English, I think I'm very fluent and my accent is really good. But for other languages I speak (Spanish and intermediate French), I'm definitely not as good - fluency-wise and accent-wise. I really don't care if I make mistakes, if I say something wrong or if my accent is weird. What you need to realize is that most people will speak one, 2 languages at most. So if you speak 2 or more languages you are already way ahead of many people. So don't feel insecure if you make mistakes, it's normal to make them, and by making them you will learn more!

I am always hesitant to speak Spanish with native speakers. I have trouble keeping up when they speak quickly. I think this is natural. The only way to get used to it is by frequent use. That was you get better and feel more confident in your ability.

I have. I guess it's natural. But we can choose to remain terrified, or just ignore the nervousness and awkwardness.

It's only natural. It only motivates me to improve on the accent so that next time around I will have more confidence conversing with these folks.

I am always hesitant to speak Spanish with native speakers. I have trouble keeping up when they speak quickly. I think this is natural. The only way to get used to it is by frequent use. That was you get better and feel more confident in your ability.

I agree. The more you practice speaking, the better you're at the language because learning a new language is all about frequent practicing.

I think everyone over here has gone through this moment at least once in their life, I did when I was just starting to learn english at shool.  I think this is super normal, specially if you're talking with a native speaker.  I'll surely go through this once I move to the Spanish; I can't speak english well! 

So I'm sure there will be a lot awkward moments for me in the future.  I'm not nervious about that at all!  I think awkward moments are a great motivation to improve the language. So not everything is bad!

Why everything supposed to be bad, make me feel so good?

Yes, i usually feel shy when i speak English with some people who is much better than me. However, i found that Instead of being shy, I should learn from them. When they talk to me, i usually focus on what they are talking  and how they pronouce a word which i do not pronouce corectly.

Do not be shy, my friend. Take it as a chance to study and practice. I am pretty sure that you will be better if you talk to native speaker or who is better than you.

Good lucks

Right now I am still shy to communicate with the people around here in the country of my husband. I am only new in this place and one thing I am still studying and learning their language which is Hangeul. Although I am not afraid to speak a few words to them but I am not talking to them in a conversation if I am not with my husband. I feel like I am always different from them and that I will be misunderstood by them but I know sooner I can avoid this feeling anymore. :)

yeah, i do feel the same way sometimes but you cannot do anything about it. You can practice to make yourself better but it'll take time, and in the meantime you cannot always stay quite. So you have to talk even if you don't want to, even if you are shy  :sad:

I learned a few phrases in Russian and practiced them before I used them.  Bottom line I got laughed at for my effort (which I thought was a bit harsh) but one of the people that was there said I actually made a good attempt.  I say better to try than to not try at all.

I don't think shy would be the word for it. Sometimes I would be a little tense, because I don't want to say the wrong thing around them or mess up. I would never be shy though, because you could easily just ask them for hep down the road.

I sometimes do, I always felt embarrassed at my German skills at school.

Also, sometimes my co-workers have a laugh at my English when I happen to mispronounce some word. They can be really mean and it makes learning harder because I'm afraid to try and you learn by trying.

Oh well  :sad:

When I moved to US to work, the first few weeks were hard, at that time I feel shy to speak because I don't use english everyday. I can tell that my accent is very different from them, but as the days go by, I got used to it and somehow adapted how they speak. I don't have a problem with it anymore.

I've actually never felt that way because if you're learning a language that's not your own, people can't expect you to be at the highest level of knowledge and verbalization of that language... it's ignorant and childish. I know and I've encountered people that speak some languages better than me and of course they have been studying them longer than I have.

I haven't been out of the country yet, and my English is quite fluent, so so far I have never felt shy regarding speaking in general, whatever language it may be. Even with the regional languages spoken here, I don't seem to mind or care that I don't understand them, since Tagalog is the major and most widely used language over here.