Linguaholic

Color And Colour

Baburra

I'm much more used to using "color" as a spelling, along with other words with the same applicable rule, like "flavor and flavour".

Needless to say, I prefer the spelling without the "U" a lot more, and whenever I see the other form used, it makes me feel awkward. I'm assuming the latter is more commonly used in European countries, and I'm asking our members if this is true, and if so, which spelling do you prefer?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Yes this is more common in Europe since we learn English and not American.

I personally prefer color because I have family that is American and almost all the games/television etc is usually in American instead of English.

I'm much more used to using "color" as a spelling, along with other words with the same applicable rule, like "flavor and flavour".

Needless to say, I prefer the spelling without the "U" a lot more, and whenever I see the other form used, it makes me feel awkward. I'm assuming the latter is more commonly used in European countries, and I'm asking our members if this is true, and if so, which spelling do you prefer?

Yes, colour and flavour are the British English spellings of the words.  The American spellings are "color" and "flavor."    British spellings are also typically used in Australia and New Zealand.

For the most part, Canada also follows British spellings, but there are some exceptions.  You may find this thread interesting as it covers many of the differences in spelling.

http://linguaholic.com/english-vocabulary/american-vs-canadian-spellings/msg3314/#msg3314

Laura beat me to it, but I saw the "British" spellings on Canadian TV when I lived in Michigan.  In those antenna days we picked up the Canadian Broadcasting Company and I learned to see theater as theatre and the "colour and flavour" used in coffee and tea commercials.  As a youngster, I called it "fancy English" and loved watching the Canadian station not only for the shows but the commercials to learn even more new words.

I know a lot of Canadians who prefer those types of spelling as well. I'm American, but I prefer colour and use it exclusively except when teaching children, because many of the teachers here mark it as incorrect.

I'm originally from Australia, so I grew up using "colour", "favourite", etc. I'm currently going to college in the U.S. though, so I've had to get used to omitting the "u" from those words. Even though I've been here for almost a year now, I still prefer the look of the "colour" over "color". I think people generally just prefer whichever spelling they grew up with. :)

Guest akasha24

I can't really say which one I prefer because every time I use those words with a "u" in them in an email, microsoft word or any other place, it gets underlined, so that obviously indicates that the word is misspelled. It took me a while before I got used to spelling color, favorite, flavor etc without a "u" but I guess that is the right way to spell it.

I grew up in the Philippines and we use American English there. Now that I moved to Sweden, which follows British English rules, I still get a bit confused when I read words such as "colour" and "flavour". It's an extra vowel that I am sometimes too lazy to add when typing on the keyboard. I have friends in Canada and Australia and they also type the extra "u" letter in words they use when we converse.

akasha24, it just depends on whether or not your version of Word follows American English or British English. "Color" is technically correct in America, while "colour" is technically correct in England, Australia, etc.

Not just in Europe but pretty much all former commonwealth countries, it is 'colour' and not 'color'. Most of these countries follow the British pattern of English and the spellings and pronunciations of certain words reflects that.

This is true, generally the British spelling and pronunciation are commonly used in former Commonwealth countries, in example in Belize too.

Personally I like the "ou" combination in words that otherwise should not have it in American English, but since I write for an American audience, I need to get rid of British terms, unless I'm expressly asked to write with this alternative grammar.

I have always used the one without the U. It just seems so formal with it and my personality is more laid back and chill. But it's totally fine to use the ones that's pretty common in Europe.

I prefer the "color" and "favorite" spelling because it's what I was taught in school. I actually thought the extra "u" was old English until I ventured online. I only saw the words with the extra vowels while reading old British authors in school. It took me awhile to get used to the extra vowel. Now, I recognize it as British English without a second thought.

I live in New Zealand and we use spellings like "colour" and "favourite". I prefer these ones, and I always feel a bit confused when I see the American spellings (even if I suppose they kind of make more sense.)

• 3 months later...

From childhood, I am used to American English and I just became aware of the British English when I get to be exposed with foreigner friends and got to read more books as a writer. :grin: It is also quite interesting to know a different set of word spellings. The differences in spellings though confuses some.

Good explanation here, so color is more UK and colour more US? My spell check gives me colour as an error, so probably it's from UK right? It's a nonsense really since both words are correct.

Yes, the form with "u" is generally used in Europe and other countries that were under English rule. Here in Jamaica we still use that form although we are an independent country. If I am doing a business or school paper I wouldn't have a choice because that is what we were taught to use in school. However, I do spell words without the "U" on other occasion.

as far as I'm aware colour is a British/Australian thing. Having said that if I know I am speaking in a palce frequented mostly by Americans I will spell it 'color' simply for their benefit. Most of the time I will use British English though. Sometimes without thinking I will spell it colour and the spell checker will flag it up, so I change ti without consideration.