Linguaholic

So you want to speak Korean ?

Pink Glitter

I really love watching Korean dramas and movies. I read the subtitles but sometimes I wish I could understand what they're saying even without reading the subtitles. I think it would be interesting to learn. I haven't started any lessons yet but I've downloaded a learn Korean podcast from iTunes. Would you have any recommendations? I'm not sure if I should take formal lessons because I really just want to understand the movies/tv series more. I'm not sure if that is enough motivation.

Honestly, besides geographical or job-related reasons, there are probably very few reasons to learn Korean as it is not particularly a useful language to learn at a global scale. The few foreigners that I know who speak Korean were either married to Koreans or how to know Korean due to working/living there. That being said, I was venture to guess that those learning Korean who don't fit into these roles are probably like the poster above who is learning Korean as a way to understand Korean dramas, kpop, etc.

I want to study and learn to speak the Korean language not just because I want to learn a new language but indeed I really have to do it since my husband is a Korean and I should seriously studying and learning the language for my own sake while staying here in their country. :)

I want to learn Korean because one day I would like to live in South Korea. I like their fashion sense as well as the fact that they are producing some of the best video gamers in the world. I do hope this sub forum would get more attention and maybe some more resources.

Yes it is true that some foreigners living here in Korea who knows how to speak the language are either married to a Korean or are living and working here. And it is also true that Koreans had a different style of fashion and I am beginning to adapt to it while living here. :)

• 1 month later...

I have been learning the Korean language for about five to six years. I started when I began my undergraduate degree. My mother is Korean, and I always grew up hearing the language, but never exactly knowing what was being said. Being exposed to the sounds of the language really helped when I was initially learning the language. A lot of the sounds were familiar, and I picked up listening skills fairly quickly. I lived in Korea for about a year, and studied extensively while I was there which was extremely helpful. That being said, I still have so much more to learn!

• 4 weeks later...

My family is Korean, but I lived in Canada since I was an infant, so while I can understand Korean pretty fluently, I forgot most of the teaching from when I was a baby.

I just thought it would be a shame to not know the language I was born with, so I figured to relearn it, I would regret it, if I died not even knowing my own language.

• 1 month later...

Question to the Koreans in this thread: is Korean even remotely similar to Japanese/Chinese/Thai? Like is there any overlap with common words/phrases?

Also, un-language-related question: a Korean buddy of mine can seemingly recognize if someone is Chinese/Korean/Japanese solely based on how they look. Idk if it's based on the fashion or something with the face. It's always intrigued me. Do any of you have this skill or is that my friends secret mutant power?

• 6 months later...

What made you want to learn to speak Korean and when did you become interesting in learn. How long have you been working on mastering this language.

My desire to learn Korean started when I got hooked on watching Koream drama. I wanted to learn because I dislike reading subtitles. It distracts me.

I just started learning Hangeul a couple of days ago. I hope I can construct sentences in the coming months.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to learn Korean for many specific reasons. I love listening to K-pop, but I do not understand the lyrics. I think it is off how people can listen to songs that they will love and not understand a word. I also am in love with this Korean Variety show called "Running Man". I do not want to wait a whole day just to wait for subtitles.

• 1 month later...

I've already spoken some Korean terms since I practiced taekwondo, but after acquiring my black belt last June, I already "retired."  Also, I am enjoying some Korean food, especially bulgogi.  But it's my taekwondo training which influenced me to study and learn Korean.

I saw an infograph just recently and it was a very simple explanation of how the basic structure of Korean words worked so I read on and I was surprised at how simple it was. I was initially a bit intimidated by the language since the characters seemed a bit too complicated for me but when I learned more about it I discovered that they were just alphabet arrangements that were somewhat similar to Chinese so I know I could learn it eventually if I stuck to it.

Well, I honestly just wanted to start learning a few days ago. I had an epiphany that I spent so much time around South Korean media that it was probably time to drop the subtitles and learn the language itself. Today, I even learned my first written word in another post! I'm hoping this language is going to be a little easier to get the hang of than some other languages I'm trying to learn as well.

• 1 year later...

Korean first got my interest when i found out about Hangeul. How it works and how it was created. I started to learn how to read and write Hangeul and i signed up for a free Korean course at Uni. I was never a big fan of Kpop or Kdramas but i finally found a very awesome Korean band. The country itselfs seems interesting, i would love to go there and the Koreans i met so far were very friendly.

• 6 months later...

I'm not gonna lie... I started learning Korean because of K-pop. I absolutely adore the music, and it would be nice to not have to look up the translations all the time. Same goes for K-dramas. Eventually I would like to live in Korea temporarily or maybe look for a job there, so it's really handy if I knew that language. I mean, any language is an asset, so I really have nothing to lose by learning it besides time.

I've been studying for probably four years now??? But I didn't make a concerted effort until this year when I started taking classes at university.

• 2 weeks later...

I started watching a Korean show about U-Kiss and it was really funny.  Then I got into K-pop, then variety shows, dramas, and other Korean videos and got caught up.  Between the music, culture, food, and architecture, I have a huge desire to go travel South Korea by myself without a translator.  I would love to be able to attend my favorite bands' concerts and sing along without mangling the Korean.